Wireless card oddities

diegoisawesome

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I used to have an HP Pavillion p6340f desktop computer, and then I decided to build my own. I moved the parts I'd installed in it over the years to the new build, plus the wireless card that came with the Pavillion. Strangely, with the same drivers and setup, the card refuses to find any WiFi signals - not the one it was connected to prior to the move nor the other networks around the area. Changing the drivers, uninstalling the device, rebooting - nothing will work. The symptoms are exactly the same as when I moved the card to another slot on the Pavillion. Please help!

If it can't "see" any networks at all, what signs of life is it putting out? Is it actually enabled in Device Manager? Is it enabled in BIOS or does your BIOS have one of those "either or" ethernet and wireless settings. Have you unticked power saving in its Properties so it doesn't get turned off at a crucial moment?

Sorry there are more questions than answers but most of this game is elimination of possibilities.

diegoisawesome

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Well, I finally found the problem: the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter wasn't installing itself. I messed around in the settings for my adapter until Windows installed the Virtual Adapter, and then, after a reboot, the WiFi came back on!