Need Small Case&Mobo setup

jaygattis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
I need suggestions. Here's what I want - as small and quiet a PC case as is reasonable - maybe FlexATX or more likely MicroATX. Must have a 9-pin serial port (2 if possible) and a AGP graphics slot. Also, support for a low-power/cool CPU that I can run with a passive heatsink but over 200mhz (maybe a C3 or Celeron)would be a bonus. Again, quiet and compact is the goal - which makes excess heat a problem. All suggestions are appreciated.

-Dr.J

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a desktop AT case which is very compact, and I'll install a quiet power supply.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

jaygattis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
so then I'd need to find an old socket 7 mobo with P200mmx eh? can you send me a pic of your setup? you can send it to terminader2000@hotmail.com

-J

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dude, you can get AT boards in slot 1 and Socket 370 also, even with BX chipsets and 133MHz FSB support! And a lot of K6-2 systems were built on them, all the way up to 550MHz! You'll have to wait for the pic.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best AT motherboard was probably the Asus P2B-B, btw. It supported bus speeds up to 150MHz for overclocking the PIII. You could add a PIII 1000EB and push it up from their, mine handles the 150MHz FSB quite nicely. If you look up the info on this board, you'll notice it can use either AT or ATX power supplies. I would recommend ATX power, the shells of AT and ATX power supplies are the same.