equation editor/viewer for Palm?

May 5, 2004 6:25:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

Hi,

I frequently attend scientific seminars and take my notes into the Palm's
MemoPad.

I would like to have a way to compose equations on the Palm and view them in
their graphical form (also on the Palm). PC-based analogous solutions
include LaTeX and the MS Word Equation Editor.

My understanding is that there is no Palm or Java port of LaTeX. Googling I
found ImagiWorks for Palm, but this doesn't seem that this shows a graphical
view of an equation, rather it shows graphs of equations.

Thanks for any pointers.

Jonathan
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 6:59:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

Jonathan,

You could use our product 'Formulae 1' for this if you
have a supported PalmOne device (Treo 600,
Tungsten C, Tungsten E, Tungsten T3).

http://www.poliplus.com/PalmOS_F1.htm

Carlos.

Jonathan Epstein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I frequently attend scientific seminars and take my notes into the Palm's
> MemoPad.
>
> I would like to have a way to compose equations on the Palm and view them in
> their graphical form (also on the Palm). PC-based analogous solutions
> include LaTeX and the MS Word Equation Editor.
>
> My understanding is that there is no Palm or Java port of LaTeX. Googling I
> found ImagiWorks for Palm, but this doesn't seem that this shows a graphical
> view of an equation, rather it shows graphs of equations.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Jonathan
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 8:03:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

Looks cool, Carlos, although not quite as powerful-looking as the Word
Equation editor, for example, at least at a cursory glance. Maybe you
should post the manual on your website so potential users can get a better
sense of what the product can do.

I have a Treo 270, but will take your product into account when considering
to which Palm I should upgrade.

Jonathan

"Carlos Bazzarella" <cbazzaTAKE@OUTpoliplus.com> wrote in message
> Jonathan,
>
> You could use our product 'Formulae 1' for this if you
> have a supported PalmOne device (Treo 600,
> Tungsten C, Tungsten E, Tungsten T3).
>
> http://www.poliplus.com/PalmOS_F1.htm
>

> Carlos.
>
> Jonathan Epstein wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I frequently attend scientific seminars and take my notes into the
Palm's
> > MemoPad.
> >
> > I would like to have a way to compose equations on the Palm and view
them in
> > their graphical form (also on the Palm). PC-based analogous solutions
> > include LaTeX and the MS Word Equation Editor.
> >
> > My understanding is that there is no Palm or Java port of LaTeX.
Googling I
> > found ImagiWorks for Palm, but this doesn't seem that this shows a
graphical
> > view of an equation, rather it shows graphs of equations.
> >
> > Thanks for any pointers.
> >
> > Jonathan

May 5, 2004 11:10:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:10:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

Good point, Karl, and I had considered that approach as well.

Do you (or anyone else) know of a Palm drawing program where I could easily
fetch a symbol from a picture library, to make this easier? I'm thinking of
symbols like capital sigma (for summations) and capital pi (for products),
as well as integral signs.

It might be possible to draw this equations in realtime if some of these
frequently-used symbols were pre-drawn.

Jonathan

"Kirk Strauser" <kirk@strauser.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 4:41:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

In article <871xlyw9ga.fsf@strauser.com>, kirk@strauser.com says...

> At 2004-05-05T20:06:13Z, "Jonathan Epstein" <Jonathan_Epstein@nih.gov> writ=
> es:
>
> > Good point, Karl, and I had considered that approach as well.
>
> "Kirk", but who's keeping track? :)
>
> > It might be possible to draw this equations in realtime if some of these
> > frequently-used symbols were pre-drawn.
>
> I don't know of any such program, but I'm not convinced that having a
> parallel input method would be significantly quicker. At a minimum, you'd
> have to select the symbol and then paste it where you wanted it, and I'm not
> sure I could do that faster than I could draw a pi or sigma.
>
> What about something like TealPaint that's basically a miniature graphics
> editor, and which lets you flip between screens fairly quickly? You could
> open a new "file" for each equation if need be, and can select a very narrow
> (even single-pixel) "brush" for drawing small stuff.

I have read that many high-res palm devices still only digitize at 160 x
160. I had this problem with my Clie NR70V when trying to use Diddle Bug.
You might want to check for this on any potential new Palm device.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:20:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.text.tex (More info?)

Mea culpa, Kyle.

Johnson ;-)

"Kirk Strauser" <kirk@strauser.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:16:16 PM

:
: I would like to have a way to compose equations on the Palm and view them in
: their graphical form (also on the Palm). PC-based analogous solutions
: include LaTeX and the MS Word Equation Editor.
:
: My understanding is that there is no Palm or Java port of LaTeX. Googling I
: found ImagiWorks for Palm, but this doesn't seem that this shows a graphical
: view of an equation, rather it shows graphs of equations.

I've seen somebody mention installing my free gpl'ed mimetex program
( www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html ) on a Palm-class device, but the
closest I seem to google up is an asian page
http://www.hyuki.com/yukiwiki/wiki.cgi?mycmd=edit&mypag...
that I can't even read. Nevertheless, at some point in time there
was some more elaborate discussion of mimetex-on-palm in english
that I came across following back an HTTP_REFERER to my page.

And the overall strategy should be pretty easy, writing a small
wrapper script that uses two existing command-line switches already
available in mimetex. For example, if you have a Linux box with
ImageMagick, then build mimetex.cgi and type the command line
./mimetex.cgi -d -o "\LARGE \int\limits_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx" | display &
which will bring up a little box containing an image of the
expression between the quotes.
To see more examples, point your browser to my mimetex page
( www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html ) and click on any of the examples
in the examples section. The code for that example will be pasted
in the text box, and you can cut-and-paste it from there into
the shell command
./mimetex.cgi -d -o "paste-example-here" | display &
that you have set up and waiting to go in an xterm window.

So, if there's an ansi-standard C compiler for Palm, and
if you have some gif display utility for it, then mimetex
should be able to do most of what you want. It's completely
stand-alone, with no other dependencies, and doesn't require
a (La)TeX installation or fonts. So it should install and run
okay on a Palm, though I'm not 100% certain of that. Let me
know what happens if you give it a try.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
!