Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Explorer.exe not launching when booting Win 8

Last response: in Windows 8
February 12, 2013 11:15:24 PM

Everytime I boot up Windows 8 Pro x64 installed on my laptop , explorer.exe process doesn't launch automatically as it should.Thus, all I get is a black screen, and I need to manually start it on task manager (run a new task).

I've already tried the registry fix (setting "Shell" key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon as "explorer.exe", but the value was already "explorer.exe").What can I do in order to boot Windows 8 with explorer.exe starting as it should?Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 11:20:04 PM

First fix I would try is the "sfc /scannow" command in the command line. I'll see if I can come up with anything else and post back :) 

Edit: Is there another user account on that computer that you can log into? Also, have you tried booting up in Safe Mode and see if explorer launches at bootup there?
February 13, 2013 5:39:18 AM

i think u will need to refresh your computer ar do a startup reapair by a installation disk or recovery disk
Related resources
February 19, 2013 9:40:09 AM

Best answer selected by ksio89.
February 19, 2013 9:42:26 AM

The_Prophecy said:
First fix I would try is the "sfc /scannow" command in the command line. I'll see if I can come up with anything else and post back :) 

Edit: Is there another user account on that computer that you can log into? Also, have you tried booting up in Safe Mode and see if explorer launches at bootup there?

Hey, pal, your suggestion worked!I run "sfc /scannow" as admin in cmd.exe and now Win 8 is booting normally .Thanks for the help :bounce: 
October 31, 2013 11:55:26 AM

The_Prophecy said:

Thank you, your answer fix my pc too.
February 16, 2014 1:00:18 PM

well i got the same problem but when i run "sfc/scannow" in cmd.exe says "windows resource protection could not start the repair service" and every time i try to run the task manager it disappears .... so if i can get some help
February 27, 2014 10:11:03 AM

The_Prophecy said:

thanks this solve for me to
!