ATI Radeon 8500 and 3D Games

Screamin

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hey all,

I am having trouble with my new Radeon 8500. To date, I have not been able to play any games that require 3D acceleration. I can start all the games that I have tried, but these games will lock and crash my system after 30 seconds to 2 minutes of playing time. I have recreated this error several times with Diablo II, Black & White, and Anarchy Online.

I have tried several things so far to correct this problem. These include upgrading to the newest driver for the Radeon 8500, upgrading to the latest 4-1 Driver for my VIA motherboard, and running the games in windowed mode.

I am currently awaiting a response from ATI, but I thought I would check with all of you folk first.

BTW, I am running XP Home Edition, 512MB DDR, and an XP 1800+. Thanx in advance for your time.

--Screamin

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
sigh... do you have a crappy power supply? :eek:

Finally is the fan on your GPU still working? If not the GPU could be overheating, causing your games to crash.

Finally check the BIOS. Flash the newest version of your mobo's BIOS, then turn off all AGP features just to see if it runs without them. Turn off fast writes, turn 4x down to 2x, and turn down AGP aperture size to 16-32MB.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I was just reading about this problem the other night, but since I've no Ati card, I didn't pay real close attention.

There's some wonky .wdm files in your system, and there's two cures. Manually delete the offending files and reload the drivers; or change your display driver over to the default one, delete the ati8500.inf file so Windowz doesn't recognize the card, and reboot/reload the drivers.