Harmon Kardon Receiver Question

Last response: in Home Audio
September 21, 2005 5:05:18 PM

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 430 and need to connect my speaker switch to
it. Where do I connect it? I have several choices: Speaker Right,
Speaker Left, Front speaker, Rear Speaker, Surround Speaker, Center
Speaker, Pre Out: Front, surround, center, surround back

I have 5 surround speakers in one room, plus two additional rooms witha
set of speakers in each.

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 4:07:25 PM

Hello Kendra,

While I'm not familiar with your specific Surround receiver, in your
main room with 5 speakers, you will use the 5 speaker outputs on the
receiver which I would expect to be:

Front Left
Center
Front Right
Rear (surround) Left
Rear (surround) Right

Use all 5 of these and position them as labeled. Be careful of the
polarity (plus and minus) as it is important to the sound quality. The
owner's manual should help you figure this out and have some diagrams of
typical set ups in it.

The preamp outs will not drive speakers, but can be connected to an
additional power amp (or amps) to drive additional speakers.

In general, surround receivers are not set up to handle more than one
speaker for each channel, so the receiver will not be able to drive the
2 pairs or remote speakers in your other rooms. While you might be able
to set the unit to the stereo mode and get an external speaker switch,
this might overload and damage the amps in the HK. You'd probably be
better off getting a small stereo receiver for the other 2 rooms.
Again, consult your owner's manual. Contact HK if you don't have one.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

!