850MHz version of K750i or W800i

Last response: in Brands
March 13, 2005 1:09:17 AM

Do you think that SE will come out with a North American (850 MHz)
version of K750i or W800i? That would be nice since im with cingular.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:04:59 PM

Thus spake warnie:
> Do you think that SE will come out with a North American (850 MHz)
> version of K750i or W800i? That would be nice since im with cingular.

The consensus on forums such as Howards's is probably not. This maybe down
to marketing politics more than SE willfully ignoring such a potentially
large market. I also hear comments that Americans have a different view of
cell phones in being less personal items, often shared, generally less
featured or cheap if you prefer & less of a fashion statement. Cingular may
have existing agreements to be supplied from one manufacturer for a
particular style of phone or market segment which precludes other brands.
I've also heard rumours that quad band chip licensing & aerial design may
effect such decisions though SE could technically launch a 850/1800/1900 "c"
version.

So no GSM850 or EDGE. SE are probably more interested in their current core
markets & UTMS. It's the price you US citizens pay for your country's
reluctance to adhere to international standards having an effect. SE do use
Quad band & EDGE for some data cards so it begs the question: why not
phones? No one can really market a "World" GSM phone without quad band. Just
maybe SE will launch a W800a (or its future replacement) or T mobile will
provide their branded D750 in the States but without 850.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!