Invalid Filter Driver

Smerling

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
I have installed my IBM IC35L060AVER07-0 hard drive as my primary slave. Each time I boot up my system I am notified that WinXP has identified the IBM drive as a new hard drive, and then eventually I receive an error message to the effect that WinXP is unable to install the hard drive because "one of the filter drivers installed for the device is invalid." Ironically, the hard drive seems to work just fine, and also the BIOS sees the slave drive. Moreover, I tested the HD as a primary slave in another computer running WinXP, and the drive installed and worked perfectly. My configuration is as follows: my primary master HD is a Maxtor 4K080H4, and my primary slave (the HD in question) is an IBM IC35L060AVER07-0. My system is a Sony Vaio PCV-RX551, and my BIOS is an AwardBIOS version 1004. I have set the jumpers on the two drives for master/slave and cable select, but either way the resultis the same. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8235k8hta

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
"one of the filter drivers installed for the device is invalid."
are you sure about your error message?
this is the first time i hear about "installed filter drivers"?!?

Smerling

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
The precise error message is: "An error occurred during the installation of the device. One of the filter drivers installed for the device is invalid."
I might be happy if I could just stop this message from appearing each time I boot up seeing as how the HD seems to work fine.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Windows is just finicky. You can completely kill the os, and install it clean.

Or, you can shut off the file protection and install the drivers you know to be good. It will overwrite the system files similiar to windows98 or Linux without the hassle.

ju5tin

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Try this ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823774