ISP bandwidth cap and router ?

queue101

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hi

I have noticed that my ISP doesn't disconnect me immediately from the internet when I reach my bandwidth cap. I can go over the limit as much as I can without paying any extra charge, but as soon as the power turns off and the wireless router get disconnected , I cant get back online. The problem is that it is hard to keep the router turned on all the times since I am living in an area where electricity cutoffs are frequent during the summer . Is there anyway I can get the router to use the same configuration info before it shuts down. i would appreciate your help guys.

I guess it depends on understanding why the connection cannot be re-established once the power cuts off. It's not clear to me whether it's just a coincidence, something unrelated to bandwidth limits, or whether indeed it’s the ISP imposing the caps. I suppose the ISP could impose caps by preventing further DHCP requests. In response, you might be able to record your current public IP, DNS servers, etc., and when this happens, change from DHCP to those static values in your router's WAN configuration. But that's a rather draconian approach, and frankly, I doubt any ISP would impose caps via DHCP. It would be far easier to simply allow you to connect but block traffic based on your public IP. In fact, most ISPs would probably use a governor to slow you down and send an email warning of being cutoff completely if you continue to violate the caps.

queue101

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Thank you guys for the ideas. I have considered battery backup, but since the power cutoff can last for several hours , it

would be difficult to rely on the backup . I just want to let you know that i can still get connected to my wireless network

once the power is back on, but i cant open any website and my wireless router light is turned off for the internet button

while other buttons ( ADSL,wireless ... etc buttons are turned on ). Is there any program that gives you all the detail

about your ADSL connection configuration because I am not that good at networking and how i can reconfigure my

router?

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I would imagine that it works by not letting you reconnect by using your router MAC address at the ISP end. Regardless of how they do it the only hope you have based on what you have told us is that you buy a UPS and use that otehrwise upgrade your cap. A small UPS will run a router for a very long time!!!!!!