Q: Power Amp Kits

Last response: in Home Audio
September 23, 2005 11:38:27 AM

Hello.

I'm thinking about building my own high powered amps. I'm looking for a nice
kit that puts out a true 200 watts or more into 8 ohms. Any ideas?

Thanks! James. :o )

More about : power amp kits

Anonymous
September 23, 2005 11:38:28 AM

"James Lehman" wrote ...
> I'm thinking about building my own high powered amps.
> I'm looking for a nice kit that puts out a true 200 watts or
> more into 8 ohms. Any ideas?

http://sound.westhost.com/project101.htm
I just got three of the PC boards and am collecting the parts.
Biggest problem will be finding an appropriate power
transformer.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:25:13 PM

"James Lehman" <james[remove]@akrobiz.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I'm thinking about building my own high powered amps. I'm
> looking for a nice kit that puts out a true 200 watts or
> more into 8 ohms. Any ideas?

(1) Buy an assembled 200wpc power amp. Good ones are so
inexpensive now that a kit would cost you much more because
of the relative volume of sales.

(2) Carefully unplug the amps from the wall and remove the
cover.

(3) Ohh and ahh over the internals.

(4) If you are extra-needy for affirmation, run your fingers
over the less-delicate parts.

(5) Re-assemble the cover onto the amp.

(6) Plug back in, and *ENJOY THE MUSIC*.

;-)
September 23, 2005 3:24:59 PM

"James Lehman" <james[remove]@akrobiz.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I'm thinking about building my own high powered amps. I'm looking for a
> nice
> kit that puts out a true 200 watts or more into 8 ohms. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks! James. :o )

I'm not sure such kits are available these days - not enough demand, and too
many legal liability issues.

Occasionally one can find an unbuilt Hafler or Dyna kit on eBay.

Mark Z.
September 23, 2005 8:32:22 PM

In article <11j84ae3jev4m14@corp.supernews.com>, "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote:
>"James Lehman" wrote ...
>> I'm thinking about building my own high powered amps.
>> I'm looking for a nice kit that puts out a true 200 watts or
>> more into 8 ohms. Any ideas?
>
>http://sound.westhost.com/project101.htm
>I just got three of the PC boards and am collecting the parts.
>Biggest problem will be finding an appropriate power
>transformer.

The transformer is the key to most amps as far a money goes.
I have wound my own to save money. You can also find some good buys
of torroid transformers. New they are a bit pricey. I have also put
them in series or parallel to get more voltage or current.
Check Parts Express. Heat sinks are also expensive new. Go
with surplus units. Sometimes its easier to break them up with one for each
device. Smaller units can then be had easier. Even some of the PC
cooling units can be used. check with All Electronics for sinks.

greg
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 11:27:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and the bit of sarcasm. I understand what you are
saying. What amps do you think are inexpensive and good?

The reason I asked the question is because I've been looking at 41hz.com a
lot lately and those amps look pretty neat.

One of the reasons I like AMP3 is because it uses a single 12V supply.
That's easy. Then I looked at more power and I was taken right back to where
I was with this idea many years ago; the big, fat, expensive, power
transformer. So, I just figured, if I'm going to have to build a linear
power supply, I might as well look at any and all other power amp kit
options.

James. :o )
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 6:08:09 PM

> Thanks for the suggestions and the bit of sarcasm. I
> understand what you are saying. What amps do you think
> are inexpensive and good?
>
> The reason I asked the question is because I've been
> looking at 41hz.com a lot lately and those amps look
> pretty neat.

That's old technology. Here's something newer:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/UcDAmps.htm

> One of the reasons I like AMP3 is because it uses a
> single 12V supply. That's easy. Then I looked at more
> power and I was taken right back to where I was with this
> idea many years ago; the big, fat, expensive, power
> transformer. So, I just figured, if I'm going to have to
> build a linear power supply, I might as well look at any
> and all other power amp kit options.

I've got a Tripath amp that has a similar power rating and
may be based on the same chip.

It's not all that awe-inspiring to listen to or to test on
the bench.

One problem with Tripath's technology is their dependence on
complex, bulky output filter networks. They raise the amp's
output impedance at the high end of the audio band, and make
the amp's sound quality extra-dependent on the impedance
curve of the speaker you're using.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 12:33:10 AM

> "James Lehman" <james[remove]@akrobiz.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestions and the bit of sarcasm. I
> > understand what you are saying. What amps do you think
> > are inexpensive and good?
> >
> > The reason I asked the question is because I've been
> > looking at 41hz.com a lot lately and those amps look
> > pretty neat.
>
> That's old technology. Here's something newer:
>
> http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/UcDAmps.htm
>
> > One of the reasons I like AMP3 is because it uses a
> > single 12V supply. That's easy. Then I looked at more
> > power and I was taken right back to where I was with this
> > idea many years ago; the big, fat, expensive, power
> > transformer. So, I just figured, if I'm going to have to
> > build a linear power supply, I might as well look at any
> > and all other power amp kit options.
>
> I've got a Tripath amp that has a similar power rating and
> may be based on the same chip.
>
> It's not all that awe-inspiring to listen to or to test on
> the bench.
>
> One problem with Tripath's technology is their dependence on
> complex, bulky output filter networks. They raise the amp's
> output impedance at the high end of the audio band, and make
> the amp's sound quality extra-dependent on the impedance
> curve of the speaker you're using.

Also try http://www.williamshart.com/

Many of their designs are by the late (and great) John Lindsey-Hood
and I can personally recommend them.

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 2:10:29 AM

harrogate2 wrote:

> Also try http://www.williamshart.com/
>
> Many of their designs are by the late (and great) John Lindsey-Hood
> and I can personally recommend them.

That's John Linsley Hood.
I see they are selling his noisy shunt-feedback phono preamp design.

--
Eiron

I have no spirit to play with you; your dearth of judgment renders you
tedious - Ben Jonson.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 4:15:25 PM

"Eiron" <e1ron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> harrogate2 wrote:
>
> > Also try http://www.williamshart.com/
> >
> > Many of their designs are by the late (and great) John
Lindsey-Hood
> > and I can personally recommend them.
>
> That's John Linsley Hood.
> I see they are selling his noisy shunt-feedback phono preamp design.
>
> --
> Eiron

.... yes but this thread is about <power> amps, so phono amps don't
come into it!

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:08:50 PM

searh Vel(l)man
"James Lehman" <james[remove]@akrobiz.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I'm thinking about building my own high powered amps. I'm looking for a
> nice
> kit that puts out a true 200 watts or more into 8 ohms. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks! James. :o )

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 1:43:28 AM

harrogate2 wrote:
> "Eiron" <e1ron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>harrogate2 wrote:
>>

>>>Also try http://www.williamshart.com/
>>>
>>>Many of their designs are by the late (and great) John
>
> Lindsey-Hood
>
>>>and I can personally recommend them.
>>
>>That's John Linsley Hood.
>>I see they are selling his noisy shunt-feedback phono preamp design.

> ... yes but this thread is about <power> amps, so phono amps don't
> come into it!

But getting his name right does.
And his power amps were jolly good.

--
Eiron

I have no spirit to play with you; your dearth of judgment renders you
tedious - Ben Jonson.
September 27, 2005 8:03:28 PM

"Diamondcutter" <adiamondcutter@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> searh Vel(l)man