MN-720 won't connect to MN-500 with WEP enabled

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2004 6:30:20 PM

Hi there,
I have an MN-720 that I'm trying to connect to my MN-500 which is now
using 64 bit WEP. Without WEP I didn't have a problem.

I have 3 other wireless cards that will connect with the correct WEP
settings, but the MN-720 says "Invalid Security Key" for about 5
minutes. It later gives a status of "Connected" but I can't
communicate to the DHCP server inthe MN-500.

I tried static some IP adresses in the MN-720 to no avail.

I have already typed the WEP key about 763 times. I have also ensured
that the key is correct by looking in the registry (it is
unencrypted). I do notice that I can't specify which WEP key it is
that I'm typing (Key Index).

The card is running in 54g - 802.11b Compatible mode. I have tried
the other two to no avail.

I am running Windows 2000 so there is no Wireless Networking panel in
my adapter configuration. I did enable the Wireless Configuration
service (NOT the same as the WinXP one, but it did allow me to disable
the 802.1x authentication flag).

Also, the Knowledge Base article 827705 does not apply because they
mention menu items and dialogs that DO NOT exist in the Microsoft
Broadband Networking Utility that I have (the current update that is
available).

I have also updated the MN-500's firmware to the most current
available.

As I said, I have no problems with my other computers, or with this
card until I started to use WEP. The one with the MN-720 claims it is
connected after many minutes of "Invalid Security Key" messages, but I
always end upwith a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address, not a 192.168.xxx.xxx
address.

Thanks for any tips.
TTFN
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:25:38 PM

Don't know if this will help you, but it might help someone else at
least.

Here was my situation: Windows XP SP1 trying to connect to the domain
via a Xircom WAP (wireless access point) with WEP encryption. DHCP
server was not issuing an IP and all the other networking information
when WEP was turned on. It would initially show 0.0.0.0 as the IP
from ipconfig and then the DHCP client would fail / timeout and revert
to a 169.x.x.x address (see APIPA). When WEP was off, everything
worked fine.

This was resulting from a problem with the key specified. When
entered in ASCII, the key would not be received correctly. Don't ask
me why. When entered in HEX (hexadecimal) the connection would be
created successfully and DHCP would issue all the correct net info.

For me this was the only workaround needed. Hope it's this easy for
you too.

- Doug

!