How to save pre-installed Win 8 from my laptop for future use..

koolsam

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Yesterday i bought sony vaio laptop,it came with a pre installed Windows 8 OS but didn't come with disk..Now i need to do partition...If i do format,then i will lose windows 8..

Is there a way to save windows 8 before formating and install it later for future use...

Solution
You should be able to create a partition without disturbing your OS, suggest EaseUs Partition Manager as it's easy to use and reliable.
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html
Try it once you've established Recovery disks... you shouldn't need key to restore from image, anyway it should be on the base of your laptop...
Also your Laptop will have a recovery partition to restore Windows usually accessed by Alt + F10 at power up on Sony machines (check Manual) to restore to Factory settings.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Control panel windows 7 recovery, create a recovery disk or drive on a usb drive, or use acronis and create a clone of your current drive. You will need spare drive. Like a usb. You can create an image through control panel using windows 7 recovery, and use the options, store on a harddrive. Also in control panel using windows 7 recovery you can create a restore CD, as well as create a backup. If you create a backup, you need a setup disk to setup windows then use the backup to restore your system from your backup, this will set your computer to its previous state at the time of the backup. I'm not certain if the recover DVD your create will allow you to restore a backup. I'm sure it will because the windows CD diagnostics allow to restore a backup

koolsam

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Thanks mate!! Will try to do that..

koolsam

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Thanks!!

Do i need a key if install win8 after disk imaging..

You should be able to create a partition without disturbing your OS, suggest EaseUs Partition Manager as it's easy to use and reliable.
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html
Try it once you've established Recovery disks... you shouldn't need key to restore from image, anyway it should be on the base of your laptop...
Also your Laptop will have a recovery partition to restore Windows usually accessed by Alt + F10 at power up on Sony machines (check Manual) to restore to Factory settings.

Solution
1) On using control panel to create a image of the "c" (system drive).
As gomer indicated Windows control panel has an excellent imaging Backup; However, uSoft in their "not smart" move Buried it. Need to direct it to a 2nd HDD, or your external backup drive.
To access it: http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/333466/create-system-image-backup-windows-8s-hidden-backup-tool
NOTE: after image is completed, you will be prompted to create a bootable repair disk.
.. @ Gomer, You can use either a windows Installatin disk OR the bootable repair disk that you will be prompted to create. Normally just boot to the DVD disk, select repair, then restore using image.

2) runswindows95 makes an excellent point. I normally do both as a precaution.

3) as doger46 indicated, You can add a partition Without a reinstall.
.. A) FIRST make sure you have a backup incase things go wrong.
.. B) Can simply use built in "shrink volume". To do this just go to control panel, disk management Highlight your C: partition and select shrink. Then initialize and partition and format NEW unallocated space.
NOTE: Not sure if win 8 is identical to Win 7; but if it is there is one problem that May need to be resolved. If shrink only indicates a small space to shrink it is because of the Hybernation file which for some reason is stuck at the end of the partition. Also it is a hidden/system file and can not as such be deleted.
BUT you can disable hibernation, reboot and it should be gone.
Disable hibernation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
PS if reboot did not delete the file then just run Disk cleanup.