convert Thiel-Small parameters to optimum enclosure volume..

Last response: in Home Audio
September 23, 2005 5:26:28 PM

Is there a straightahead method for determining the optimum volume for
a loudspeaker enclosure based on a particular driver's Thiel-Small
parameters?

And conversely, is there a way to determine the optimum Thiel-Small
parameters (or, really, to select an appropriate driver) based on an
existing enclosure's volume & port size?

And is there a way to determine how a given driver will perform in a
given enclosure if you have all that information?

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 6:13:42 PM

Roscoe East wrote:
> Is there a straightahead method for determining the optimum volume for
> a loudspeaker enclosure based on a particular driver's Thiel-Small
> parameters?

Yes, if you are willing to define what you mean by "optimum."
The problem being is that optimum is a multi-dimensional system.
For example, does optimum mean maximum bandwidth, flattest
response, greatest low frequency excursion limited output,
best transient response, smallest size and so forth? Or some
combination thereof? Which performance parameter(s) are you
willing to compromise to optimize some other parameter(s)?

You may answer "I want maximally flat (Butterworth) response"
as "optimum," and then learn that the driver you have simply
can't get you there in ANY enclosure. Another driver might get
you there, but at significant cost, for example, a driver with
a Qts of 0.2 COULD be used in a maximally flat, sealed box system,
to be sure, but you'd end up with a very efficienct system with
a very high cutoff frequency, most likely. After you spent all
that money on this driver with it's big magnet, you might be
justified in concluding that it's not an "optimal" design.

> And conversely, is there a way to determine the optimum Thiel-Small
> parameters (or, really, to select an appropriate driver) based on an
> existing enclosure's volume & port size?

Again, if you can answer the question I posed above, the answer
is yes.

> And is there a way to determine how a given driver will perform in a
> given enclosure if you have all that information?

Yes, to a very great extent, especially in the so-called "piston
band" region of operation.
!