Creative SB5.1 Utilities don't work under WinXPpro

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I recently upgraded to Windows XPpro and have a Soundblaster live 5.1 installed in my computer. It worked well enough under win2kpro but since upgrading has performed very poorly. Driver installations keep crashing and stalling out but I have gotten them installed, however, since then I have not been able to use the AudioHQ functions for selecting my speaker setup, thus rendering my surround setup largely useless. I open the "Speakers" control panel within the AudioHQ and a Microsoft error reporting box appears. I have looked in the event viewer and this is the text for the error:

Faulting application ctsurmix.exe, version 1.1.1.0, faulting module ctsurmix.exe, version 1.1.1.0, fault address 0x00004636.

(eventID 1000)

and then the information event immediately following has the following text:

The application, C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive2k\SurroundMixer\CTSURMIX.EXE, generated an application error The error occurred on 06/23/2002 @ 22:58:30.327 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00404636 (CTSURMIX)

(eventID 4097)

Has anybody else had this problem or know of a solution? Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Michael Pokorny

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
The only solution is to upgrade and buy creative's latest card, the audigy, which is creatives goal. Or, to upgrade to a TBSC or GTXP.

Sorry, thats the way creative does business, we've been over this already here, Creative support bombs.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I posted this same problem on another board and got a different answer, basically what I had to do was find the offending application, in this case ctsurmix.exe, and under Properties:Compatability I rolled back the compatability setting to win2k, the system I had it running under before. Now it not runs the application but all the functionality is preseved and I changed my speaker setup the way I'm supposed to be able to. Thanks for your reply though.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Interesting, hadn't heard that worked before, in fact, thats the first i've ever heard that those settings actually worked. I guess its a good thing they do... yer lucky your drivers work under xp=) They don't on all configurations, some people have been having actual driver problems.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out