What to use, Cut or Uncut ATA100 cable?

hawki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
I just installed the WD 120GB Special Edition Drive as my slave on my primary IDE controller. The master is my Maxtor 40 GB. Now I have two ATA100 cables. One is the cut (which I read is called for in the ATA100 spec) and the other is the uncut version (this came with the WD). Which cable would be best to use for performance?

Both drives right now work great on the "Cut" version which came with my computer when I bought it. BTW - is it not reccomended to put two HDs on the same IDE cable?

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
which is fastest? i don't know. test it and find out!

2 ide hdd on one cable is fine, but there's a performance hit if you want to read from both simultaneously.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what do u mean by cut? rounded cables?

both cables should have the same level of performance, unless one was damaged in some way or they were subjected to undue noise.

the drives can be happy together, but bear in mind the bandwidth of the IDE cable is shared, so for maximum performance i reccomend putting the drives on seperate IDE channels.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the cut he is talking about is a small notch that takes out one conductor...not sure, but i think it is on one of the insulating leads...
i might be wrong tho.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

TRENDING THREADS