Sign in with
Your question

0xc000000f - Windows selecting incorrect installation

Last response: in Windows 7
April 17, 2012 9:51:36 AM

gday guys . i am having trouble repairing the error . i have tried all the bootrec commands etc nothing is working do not really want to reinstall as it has important files on it . problem occured after wife installed some software that worked fine on her old xp system
April 17, 2012 12:38:37 PM

Have you tried to do a "repair"? Your old files will be in a "windows.old" file. Try that.
m
l
a c 353 $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 2:28:35 PM

What is the exact error message, and when does it come up?
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2012 2:11:52 PM

the message apears on the attempt to boot . i have tried repair console with no sucess . i tried to rewrite the mbr once again with no success.

the error occured after my wife installed of all things dosbox . she also installed a csi game with quicktime . those were the last 2 actions undertaken .

i managed to recover and boot her old windows xp pro installation on a seperate disk and then tried to see if i could access any data on the other 4 hdd . very little data is recoverable at this time . my question now is will deleting and rewriting the boot.ini files help with the process as it worked wonders to recover the win xp system .
m
l
a c 353 $ Windows 7
April 27, 2012 2:32:28 PM

If you do a repair setup it will not delete any personal files or settings. Clearing out the mbr, unless you do it before Window loads, would cause boot issues.
m
l
!