Bluetooth and wireless network

May 5, 2004 8:46:03 PM

I have a wireless network setup at home and is planning to purchase the
Zire 72 this weekend. The Zire 72 has built in bluetooth for wireless
networking but what do i need to get it to work with my 801.2b setup?

Thanks,
Alfred
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 2:41:11 PM

Bluetooth and wi-fi are different standards, with different focus. Bluetooth
is used to connect personal devices in a personal network, mainly for wires
replacement. Wi-fi is a wireless LAN implementation. While both are wireless
and both use the same spectrum (2.4GHz) they're different beasts and need
different hardware.

To connect your Zire 72 to a network you'll either use a Bluetooth LAN
Access Point (example http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1261)
or use a Bluetooth dongle on your computer to share the LAN conneciton
(instructions http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1240)

--
Mauricio Freitas
MS MVP Mobile Devices

"AK" <alfred_kong@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a wireless network setup at home and is planning to purchase the
> Zire 72 this weekend. The Zire 72 has built in bluetooth for wireless
> networking but what do i need to get it to work with my 801.2b setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Alfred
May 6, 2004 2:41:12 PM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

> Bluetooth and wi-fi are different standards, with different focus.
> Bluetooth is used to connect personal devices in a personal network,
> mainly for wires replacement. Wi-fi is a wireless LAN implementation.
> While both are wireless and both use the same spectrum (2.4GHz)
> they're different beasts and need different hardware.
>
> To connect your Zire 72 to a network you'll either use a Bluetooth LAN
> Access Point (example
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1261) or use a
> Bluetooth dongle on your computer to share the LAN conneciton
> (instructions http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1240)

Thanks for the explaination. I guess i am better off to get a SD wireless
adapter but not sure if palm OS support it.

Alfred
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 6:04:55 PM

"AK" <alfred_kong@hotmail.com> wrote in message
SNIP

> Thanks for the explaination. I guess i am better off to get a SD wireless
> adapter but not sure if palm OS support it.
>
> Alfred

An SD WiFi adapter might be a better way to go but at this moment there are
none available for Palm. Recent news indicates that there are 2 or 3
companies planning to bring them out very soon but it is uncertain which
Palms they will support.

Bluetooth can be used for networking as Mauricio pointed out. You just need
BT capability on your LAN or your PC. I have my PC w/Belkin adapter set up
and can surf the net with my T3 while I am downstairs watching TV.

Cheers
TC
!