Programs from Slave drive??

Garasaki

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Ok, this is a stupid question...can I run programs off of my slave drives (ie, not the drives I boot from)??

I'm having all kinds of troubles with this right now, and I suspect its due to stupid hard drives and windows 98 which needs reinstalling...I'm ditching this rig soon and getting a new one, which I plan to have a few different HDs on, and don't see the point of extra HDs if I can't run programs from them...

Thanks!

sturm

Splendid
yes u can run programs from any drive u want to as long as all the files are there that the program needs to run.
the only stupid question is an unasked one.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
If they were progs from say another sytems, and you installed the hdd on your system with the progs still instaled on it, windows would no run the programs because there would be dynamic link library probems, and registry problems connecting the short cuts, but otherwise sounds like you 1/2 way to solving the case anyway, "ditch the rig"

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.

Garasaki

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
but otherwise sounds like you 1/2 way to solving the case anyway, "ditch the rig"

Yeah tell me about it...I can't wait. Trying to nurse this one along is as frustrating as not having a comp at all. I really am hoping to have parts on the way by this weekend...I was actually amazed at how low the overall cost is for an entirely new computer...even though I've been watching the market for the last 6 months, when you add all the stuff up, it's just like "what, that's all it's gonna cost??"...thank god for amd and ati (gettin those prices down)

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Very true, all the coast seems to be in software and anything Intel makes. AMD and VIA keep my just above empty. The real questions is, will it ever end( or atleast slow down)

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
generally it doesnt matter WHERE the drive is, so long as your confiuration is set up so its always D: or E: or whatever.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>