Artificial Intelligence Algorithm

lupa

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.ai.games (More info?)

Hello, my name is Luis Perez and I'm from Chile, in South America. I'm
23.

In the last 3 years i'v been developing an aritficial intelligence
algorithm.
I have already implemented a program in Visual Basic 6 that is able to
extract data patterns from row data.
It recieves input data wich is gattered through plugins. Then it
applies the pattern algorithm over this input and, if it finds any
pattern, it stores these patterns in memory.
If later data appears to belong to a specific pattern, then the
algorithm completes automatically this pattern, generating output.
This way, it returns this output data to the plugin specifically
related to this output (Text, Audio, Video, etc.).
This is what the implementation of my algorithm does, explained in
simple words.

Off course, i have tested, modified and optimized a lot of this behavor
all this time, turning this simple implementation into a much more
complex, abstract and powerfull one. My implementation is completely
functional and the algorithm works (i'v already tested it with a Text
plugin).

Currently i,m developing an Audio plugin so i'm looking forward to
support audio features like verbal commands, for example. Later i will
develop a Video plugin.

All the stages are ready for my project. At this time, i'v been by my
own, and now i'm seeking for contacts and help from people experienced
in this area. The point is: Can an algorithm be patented? How may i get
a patent for an algorithm, is that possisble? Also i want to develop my
project to further levels and start finding applications to it.

Well, if you are interested, please mail back to give me any
suggestion, comment, question, etc. Any help is welcome. My e-mail is
lfperez@puc.cl. Thanx for reading.

LuPa.

Archived from groups: comp.ai.games (More info?)

Hi there, Luis, greetings from Madrid, Spain!

First of all, you are probably not posting your message to the right
newsgroup since this is mainly related to games. There are other ones
(in comp.*) related to different subjects of "audio".

On the other hand, yeap, you can apply for a patent on an algorithm. But
that actually depends on your country so professionals living in other
countries might be allowed to use your algorithm without permission. The
point is: algorithms are products of science, so they should not be
patentable!!. Software can be patented, of course, ... but you would
usually be requested to explain all the intrinsics of your algorithm.

Do you see the difference?

Best regards and good luck Luis!

Carlos Linares López
Profesor Visitante
Grupo de Planificación y Aprendizaje (PLG)
Departamento de Informática
Universidad Carlos III

+34 91 624 91 09
http://scalab.uc3m.es/~clinares