Looking for a Receiver

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 27, 2005 6:51:15 PM

Need to replace an aging Denon DRA-635R Stereo
Receiver, which periodically overlays the sound
with a loud rushing noise that can sometimes be
quietened by tapping on one of the 5600 uF caps
or one of the wire bundle connectors inside.

I need something with a PHONO input, and with enuff
heft to drive 2 pairs of AR-2aX acoustic suspension
speakers. Prefer all controls to be on the unit
itself so that a remote is not necessary.

Can any y'all suggest some units? The new Denon's I've
seen seem to have all the controls on a remote but
not on the Receiver itself. Most of the other brands
I've seen do not have a phono input. As the rushing
noise becomes more frequent, my impatience grows.

Hellpppp!

chuck

More about : receiver

September 27, 2005 6:51:16 PM

On 9/27/2005 9:51 AM, chuck wrote:
> Need to replace an aging Denon DRA-635R Stereo
> Receiver, which periodically overlays the sound
> with a loud rushing noise that can sometimes be
> quietened by tapping on one of the 5600 uF caps
> or one of the wire bundle connectors inside.
>
> I need something with a PHONO input, and with enuff
> heft to drive 2 pairs of AR-2aX acoustic suspension
> speakers. Prefer all controls to be on the unit
> itself so that a remote is not necessary.
>
> Can any y'all suggest some units? The new Denon's I've
> seen seem to have all the controls on a remote but
> not on the Receiver itself. Most of the other brands
> I've seen do not have a phono input. As the rushing
> noise becomes more frequent, my impatience grows.
>
> Hellpppp!
>
> chuck

http://us.marantz.com/Products/342.asp
September 27, 2005 6:51:16 PM

Most modern equipment at the reasonably priced end will not have a
phono stage. The solution is to use a phono preamplifer - a small box
usually with no controls that equalises and boosts the phono signal to
the level of other sources like CD, tuner, tape, etc... There are
several reasonably priced units such as the NAD PP-2 and the Pro-Ject
(I think this might be rebranded in the USA).
Related resources
September 27, 2005 8:05:52 PM

In article <D%c_e.4570$vw6.4360@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>Need to replace an aging Denon DRA-635R Stereo
>Receiver, which periodically overlays the sound
>with a loud rushing noise that can sometimes be
>quietened by tapping on one of the 5600 uF caps
>or one of the wire bundle connectors inside.
>
>I need something with a PHONO input, and with enuff
>heft to drive 2 pairs of AR-2aX acoustic suspension
>speakers. Prefer all controls to be on the unit
>itself so that a remote is not necessary.
>
>Can any y'all suggest some units? The new Denon's I've
>seen seem to have all the controls on a remote but
>not on the Receiver itself. Most of the other brands
>I've seen do not have a phono input. As the rushing
>noise becomes more frequent, my impatience grows.
>
>Hellpppp!
>
>chuck

Do you throw away anything that does not work?

greg
September 27, 2005 9:51:58 PM

GregS wrote:

> Do you throw away anything that does not work?
>
> greg

Not usually. After all, I do drive a 1972 MG!

But here in North Carolina, with labor rates so
high, getting electronic gear repaired is a losing
proposition. It usually costs well over $100 and
the repair time can stretch into months. Don't wanna
be without jazz that long.

But thanks for all your help.
September 28, 2005 12:22:05 AM

In article <i7g_e.45$A57.11468@news.uswest.net>, Dan <dan@nospam.com> wrote:
>On 9/27/2005 9:51 AM, chuck wrote:
>> Need to replace an aging Denon DRA-635R Stereo
>> Receiver, which periodically overlays the sound
>> with a loud rushing noise that can sometimes be
>> quietened by tapping on one of the 5600 uF caps
>> or one of the wire bundle connectors inside.
>>
>> I need something with a PHONO input, and with enuff
>> heft to drive 2 pairs of AR-2aX acoustic suspension
>> speakers. Prefer all controls to be on the unit
>> itself so that a remote is not necessary.
>>
>> Can any y'all suggest some units? The new Denon's I've
>> seen seem to have all the controls on a remote but
>> not on the Receiver itself. Most of the other brands
>> I've seen do not have a phono input. As the rushing
>> noise becomes more frequent, my impatience grows.
>>
>> Hellpppp!
>>
>> chuck
>
>http://us.marantz.com/Products/342.asp

I wonder how eactly how this figures as far as speakers goes. The minimum
speaker load is 8 ohm for each A and B. The specs give 8 and 6 ohm ratings.
Strange the way things are nowdays! About 3 years ago, I needed an AV amp.
I bought a cheap Pioneer. One day a button position was accidently pushed.
Took half a day for someone else to figure how to get my sound back, thought it
was broke!

greg
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:34:58 AM

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:51:15 GMT, chuck
<ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:

>Need to replace an aging Denon DRA-635R Stereo
>Receiver, which periodically overlays the sound
>with a loud rushing noise that can sometimes be
>quietened by tapping on one of the 5600 uF caps
>or one of the wire bundle connectors inside.

You might as well at least go over all the solder joints in the
vicinity before dumping it. You've got nothing to lose, except the
cost of a soldering iron if you haven't got one already.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:34:59 AM

In article <ijejj1dfn9c8v5igpdqkehmit6dbgrral6@4ax.com>,
Laurence Payne <lpayne1NOSPAM@dsl.pipexSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>>Need to replace an aging Denon DRA-635R Stereo
>>Receiver, which periodically overlays the sound
>>with a loud rushing noise that can sometimes be
>>quietened by tapping on one of the 5600 uF caps
>>or one of the wire bundle connectors inside.
>
>You might as well at least go over all the solder joints in the
>vicinity before dumping it. You've got nothing to lose, except the
>cost of a soldering iron if you haven't got one already.

Agreed. In particular, it can be well worthwhile to check the solder
joints for any component which tends to heat up in use - e.g. the
driver or output transistors. Enough heat/cool/heat/cool cycles can
crack the solder due to thermal-expansion stresses.

When in doubt, use a soldering iron and some "solder wick" to melt and
wick away the old solder. Inspect the leads and (if necessary) scrape
off any accumulated oxide with an X-acto knife blade, then re-do the
connection with new, high-grade electronic solder.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
September 28, 2005 8:53:53 PM

chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlindeletek.net> wrote:
> I need something with a PHONO input,

Yamaha RX-V757. It has a phono input. It is a multichannel receiver but
you can use it with only 2 speakers.

Or if you really don't want a multichannel receiver you can also get a
Yamaha AX-596 (amplifier) or a RX-496 (receiver). I think the AX-892
was discontinued some time ago.

> and with enuff heft to drive 2 pairs of AR-2aX acoustic suspension
> speakers.

The Yamaha RX-V757 has 7 * 100 Watts RMS (at 8 ohms), capable of driving
two 4 ohm speakers and five 6 ohm speakers.

> Prefer all controls to be on the unit
> itself so that a remote is not necessary.

Recent models don't have all the functions available on the front panel,
(or at least they are not very practical to use) but the essential ones
(volume, input selector, etc.) are there.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:44:25 PM

"Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro" <rps@koala.mat.uc.pt> wrote in message
news:D heeah$s7f$1@koala.mat.uc.pt...
> chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlindeletek.net> wrote:
>> I need something with a PHONO input,
>
> Yamaha RX-V757. It has a phono input. It is a multichannel receiver but
> you can use it with only 2 speakers.
>
> Or if you really don't want a multichannel receiver you can also get a
> Yamaha AX-596 (amplifier) or a RX-496 (receiver). I think the AX-892
> was discontinued some time ago.

Or Denon DRA-685. Decent receiver, widely available at discount prices.

Mark Z.
September 29, 2005 7:57:53 PM

I need a stereo receiver to drive two pair of inefficient
AR-2ax acounstic suspension speakers, input from VCR,
DVD, PHONO, and tape drives. I have looked at many in
local shops and have narrowed it down to a Denon DRA-685
and a Yamaha RX 777. Both list at 100 watts per channel
at 8 ohms.

My only qualm about the Denon is the cheesy sound made by
the input selector switches (relays??). Else, both
seem to have on-board controls and a PHONO input.

Suggestions? Preferences? Experiences?

thanks,

chuck
September 29, 2005 8:40:50 PM

In article <5aU_e.5580$vw6.224@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>I need a stereo receiver to drive two pair of inefficient
>AR-2ax acounstic suspension speakers, input from VCR,
>DVD, PHONO, and tape drives. I have looked at many in
>local shops and have narrowed it down to a Denon DRA-685
>and a Yamaha RX 777. Both list at 100 watts per channel
>at 8 ohms.
>
>My only qualm about the Denon is the cheesy sound made by
>the input selector switches (relays??). Else, both
>seem to have on-board controls and a PHONO input.
>
>Suggestions? Preferences? Experiences?
>
>thanks,
>
>chuck

As a side note, how do your AR's sound. I always had great problems with those control pots, either
needing cleaning or bypassing.

greg
September 29, 2005 9:32:48 PM

GregS wrote:
> As a side note, how do your AR's sound. I always had great problems with those control pots, either
> needing cleaning or bypassing.
>
> greg

ARs have sounded great for decades! Been reconed several times
over the years, and I clean the pots periodically. I have tried
eliminating the pots altogether, giving max to each driver, and
that sounds good too, so if the pots finally fail I'll just
jump them.

Still need some suggestions for an old-time stereo receiver.
September 29, 2005 9:32:49 PM

On 9/29/2005 12:32 PM, chuck wrote:
> GregS wrote:
>> As a side note, how do your AR's sound. I always had great problems
>> with those control pots, either needing cleaning or bypassing.
>>
>> greg
>
> ARs have sounded great for decades! Been reconed several times
> over the years, and I clean the pots periodically. I have tried
> eliminating the pots altogether, giving max to each driver, and
> that sounds good too, so if the pots finally fail I'll just
> jump them.
>
> Still need some suggestions for an old-time stereo receiver.

Look at Marantz

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?c...

I have this receiver driving Henry Kloss Tower II's with very good
results. The 80 watts / channel is very conservative.
!