Sign in with
Your question

Network Newb

Last response: in Networking
August 22, 2001 5:36:19 AM

First off i wana say that this question has probubly been asked 5 billion times but i looked over recent posts and they didnt really answer my questions.....

Here goes:

I have a comp running win2k pro and i am going to get dsl in a couple weeks and in about a week im going to get a old emachine. I want to wipe the emachine and install Linux on it (im not sure what version, im a newb member?). I want to set up a home network to share my dsl and (maybie) my old hp printer between my win2k and my emachine. I dont have much of a budget but i already know that i need to change the modem i was getting to an external cisco 675. The rest i have no knowlege of. If anyone has a site that explanes everything about networking will they please tell me.

thank you for your time

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

More about : network newb

August 22, 2001 10:07:13 PM

Geeze i didnt see any routers under $100 but i guess thats how much it takes. on top of that i gota think about which cards to get (not so worried about this i saw some for under $20). And how much cableing ill need (one computer will be on the other side of the house). i guess i need to mease out how much i would need.

I guess i want to know what to look for in a router and in the cards and if i will need anything else.... software???

thanks again

Related resources
August 22, 2001 10:10:59 PM

Most any cards should suffice. 3COM, whatever. AFA router, I like the SMC 7004 because of the printer port, a lot of people like the Linksys. Not a hell of a lot of difference. You shouldn't really go wrong with most any of them

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 23, 2001 1:39:15 AM

so basicly all i need to worry about is price?

should expect any issues with trying to share windows/linux?

August 23, 2001 3:02:04 AM

I read that you will need to use Samba to allow remote printing from the Linux box to the Windows machine.

got to run...I'll try to write again later.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.
August 23, 2001 10:51:37 AM

Doesn't Samba work in the reverse direction? i.e. it enables the SMB network protocol on the linux box so you can see shares over there from the Windows machine? Also probably print in that direction too. Not sure if it allows linux to see Windows shares. Could be wrong, though. Been a while since I used it and that was on VMS.

August 23, 2001 10:05:39 PM

I thought Samba would work in both directions. I'm still looking for a good link telling him how to set this up...maybe the "Print to Windows HOWTO".

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.
August 24, 2001 12:19:48 AM

thanks a lot people i apreciet it

im not in that big of a rush so dont feel like you gota give me anything right away..

as for that samba thing is it downloadable?

thnx

August 24, 2001 8:17:40 AM

http://www.egghead.com/ShowPage.dll?page=prod_page_p&It...

This one is $50 after $30 mail rebate.
I want to do the same thing you mentioned but am not sure where to start. At least you have the wiring in place. I am dreading that part. I've been wondering about some of the wireless alternatives. THG has some reviews. Supposed to have 3-4 MB/s but his tests showed more like 0.8 MB/s. I guess that would work for my uses (ie cable modem internet access & remote printing). I assume that means 800 K transfers at least theoretically. $164 for the whole kit 2 wireless NIC's and 1 PCMIA wireless NIC (no wire to buy either). I also am trying to find info on using existing home phone lines to go from room to room. Heard about this haven't found any info yet. Anybody have any knowledge of this method??
August 24, 2001 11:04:07 AM

Quote:
as for that samba thing is it downloadable?

<A HREF="http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html" target="_new">Click here for Samba page</A>

August 24, 2001 5:06:33 PM

thanks everyone

!