Please Help

G

Hello, I have win Vista 32,
I Downloaded the Win7 64 bit iso image and burned it to a dvd. I tried to install it, and boot from it and I keep getting this message, " This installation dist isnt compat. with your versino of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. To install a new copy of windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advance). When I boot from it, it do the same thing....

When you change from a 32-bit Vista system to a 64-bit Windows 7 system, you can't do an "upgrade" (even if you've bought the upgrade disk). So instead of trying to load the Windows 7 disk while Vista is up and running, you have to shut down Vista and boot from the Windows 7 DVD instead.

You can still do to this using the "upgrade" disk as long as you do it on a system with Vista installed. But it's not an "upgrade" in the sense that your existing system will be changes, it's a "clean install" where the 64-bit Windows 7 system will replace the existing Vista system.

If the system won't boot from the Windows 7 DVD, it probably means you need to go into the BIOS configuration screen (usually by pressing "F2", "Del" or other key while the system is booting), select the "Boot" settings, and change the "Boot order" so that the system will try booting from your DVD drive first, before it tries booting from the hard drive.

Because this will be a "clean" install, and you'll have to reinstall all of your software once Windows 7 is up and running. Before you start make sure you have all your license keys, and deactivate or uninstall any software that only allows one active copy. For example, Photoshop has a "Deactivate" selection under it's "Help" menu.