My PC is connected to a router there is a switch connected to the router and a d

Rcentaur

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hi, My co-worker wants to set up a test to simulate the network structure of a client we have.
There is a RS-232 to Ethernet adaptor that I am trying to communicate with but I can't figure out how to do this with the same setup as our clients. I am told the structure has to be as such:

PC-->Connected to a router-->Switch connected to the router --> RS-232 to Ethernet adaptor connected to the switch.
The IP address of the PC is 192.168.2.2 The IP address of the router is 192.168.2.1 I don't know how to get the IP of the switch, it is a Cisco Linksys EtherFast 10/100 8 port switch and I don't know how to get the IP address of the RS-232 to Ethernet adaptor.

Basically, if I have the RS-232 to ethernet adaptor plugged into the router instead of the switch, it works perfectly, I can see the IP address and ping it and it serves it's purpose. How can I get this to work when i plug it into the switch though? The software that I use to try to find the device can't find it automatically when it is plugged into the switch, only when it is plugged into the router. Any input on this?