ipswich

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I am still using Windows 95; when I start it recently it refuses saying protection error. I re-started it in safe mode and went through disabling in turn the varous components. When I disable primary and secondary IDE it starts without a problem. This means, however, I don't have my CD-rom drive. What can I do to fix it?

You can move to re-install Windows over the existing installation. Assuming the setup used to be flawless, I suggest a corrupted system file. To be honest though, I'd think of moving up to W98SE. You'll experience less hassle in that sense.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

ipswich

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Thanks; but (& this might be a foolish question) if I don't have my cd-rom drive how can I move up to Windows 98? Don't I need to insert the cd disk?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes... it kinda assumes that everyone has a cd drive. they are pretty much standard you know.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try starting the computer in safe mode and hopefully you can then get the CD to work. Then copy the window CD onto your hard drive, then just run “setup” form the hard drive. You will be amazed how much faster it installs and you will never need to insert you windows CD again when adding or removing (windows) programs.

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>

ipswich

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
When I say I don't have my CD I mean when I disable the IDEs it then isn't shown. I tried to go into safe mode but again the CD doesn't show.

In that case enable both or at least one of the controllers, making sure that the CD-ROM is on the enables one.

Boot it up from CD and install/re-install.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

ipswich

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Unforutnately this gets me back to the problem -- to boot up the computer I need to siable both primary and secondary IDE and there are what control the cd rom drive. Consequently, I can't get to it . . .

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
Boot into DOS with CD-ROM support and XCOPY the contents of the Win95 CD over to your hard disk, then reinstall. That should do the trick.

Once you get it working again, Win98 SE is definitely a very good idea.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
========
I don't have my cd-rom drive how can I move up to Windows 98? Don't I need to insert the cd disk?
=======
You should have a startup disk which was made when the machine was first installed with Win95. Actually Win98 makes a better Startup disk. I would think one of your friends has Win98 and could make a startup floppy with no problem.

Failing that go into BIOS and change the BIOS to boot from CDROM. The Win98 CDROM will boot and install your Win98.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
I was assuming (dangerous thing to do) that you have a Floppy Drive and CDROM unit attached to your computer and were not able to access your CDROM drive unit. I gave you two ways to do so.
IF you really do not _possess_ a CDROM drive unit, they are dirt cheap these says as are DVD drives which can also do what a CDROM unit does.
Yes, you will need to insert the Win95 or Win98 CDROM into your CDROM drive unit.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...