Sign in with
Your question

Blue screen of death followed by missing SSD boot drive

Last response: in Windows 7
April 17, 2012 1:19:27 PM

I recently purchased an Asus U36SD laptop and replaced the hard drive with a Samsung 830 SSD. I built recovery DVDs and installed Windows 7 on the SSD using these discs. Everything had been working fine for almost two weeks, but last night I got a blue screen of death after sleeping my computer for the weekend. I have seen the BSOD after booting from sleep before on another laptop so this wasn't too alarming to me especially after ~72 hrs of sleeping, just annoying. However, this morning when I woke my laptop from sleep, I got the blue screen and my computer hung on restart until it entered the BIOS settings after some period of time. In the BIOS my SSD was missing. I turned off my computer and took out the battery for a minute, and retried and was able to boot into Windows. Within a minute I got another BSOD and my SSD disappeared again.

Any thoughts on whether this is likely an SSD issue or some other hardware issue? This laptop is a PAIN to swap the SSD in and out because you have to unplug fragile keyboard and touchpad cables to access it, so I am weary of opening up the laptop if I don't have to, but I do suspect it could be an SSD issue.
April 17, 2012 1:24:52 PM

well if your laptop was working fine prior to the swap I'd say that narrows it down to your SSD or your SATA controller either that or Windows is being a bit testy but if you completely reinstalled it from scratch it should be ok. Did you set ACHI mode for your SSD in the BIOS if possible?
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:43:10 PM

I never even used it with the old HD, but it was working fine with the SSD for about 2 weeks with no issues/BSODs. I did set ACHI mode in the BIOS. I'm just not sure why the HD is disappearing/reappearing. Could this be a RAM issue? I installed an extra 4gb but that is showing up in the BIOS (8gb total) so I wouldn't expect that to result in my SSD disappearing.

I guess first thing I should do is open up the laptop and make sure the SSD is securely plugged in, but I don't really understand why I'd be able to boot to Windows then get a BSOD and have the SSD disappear. Its not like I was throwing my laptop around during this so I'd thing that if it was loose it would never boot to Windows at all.
m
l
!