Blue screen of death followed by missing SSD boot drive

I recently purchased an Asus U36SD laptop and replaced the hard drive with a Samsung 830 SSD. I built recovery DVDs and installed Windows 7 on the SSD using these discs. Everything had been working fine for almost two weeks, but last night I got a blue screen of death after sleeping my computer for the weekend. I have seen the BSOD after booting from sleep before on another laptop so this wasn't too alarming to me especially after ~72 hrs of sleeping, just annoying. However, this morning when I woke my laptop from sleep, I got the blue screen and my computer hung on restart until it entered the BIOS settings after some period of time. In the BIOS my SSD was missing. I turned off my computer and took out the battery for a minute, and retried and was able to boot into Windows. Within a minute I got another BSOD and my SSD disappeared again.

Any thoughts on whether this is likely an SSD issue or some other hardware issue? This laptop is a PAIN to swap the SSD in and out because you have to unplug fragile keyboard and touchpad cables to access it, so I am weary of opening up the laptop if I don't have to, but I do suspect it could be an SSD issue.
2 answers Last reply
More about blue screen death missing boot drive
  1. well if your laptop was working fine prior to the swap I'd say that narrows it down to your SSD or your SATA controller either that or Windows is being a bit testy but if you completely reinstalled it from scratch it should be ok. Did you set ACHI mode for your SSD in the BIOS if possible?
  2. I never even used it with the old HD, but it was working fine with the SSD for about 2 weeks with no issues/BSODs. I did set ACHI mode in the BIOS. I'm just not sure why the HD is disappearing/reappearing. Could this be a RAM issue? I installed an extra 4gb but that is showing up in the BIOS (8gb total) so I wouldn't expect that to result in my SSD disappearing.

I guess first thing I should do is open up the laptop and make sure the SSD is securely plugged in, but I don't really understand why I'd be able to boot to Windows then get a BSOD and have the SSD disappear. Its not like I was throwing my laptop around during this so I'd thing that if it was loose it would never boot to Windows at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops SSD Blue Screen Windows 7