hey fatburger..

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm wondering how your Audigy testing has been going and what you think so far. Its good to hear you havent had any stability issues with it.. that seems to be the major and most important downfall of the audigy in most peoples eyes. If something like the positioning isnt perfect I think most consumers could forgive that for a stable card with firewire and EAX3 support.
and when you tried JK2 did you download and use the patch from creatives website for it?

I've been thoroughly enjoying GTA3 lately myself and need to pickup Morrowind soon.. my 'last' game, Dungeon siege crashed continually once I reached the dwarven caves (the beta patch did nothing for me), while my friends with intel setups had no problems stability wise, I even so I'm still aching for some RPG action until Doom 3 is released.

edit- also SOF2 sounds great to me with eax3 but i dont really care for the game itself.. I'm waiting to see how trent reznors sounds in Doom 3 sounds like with eax advanced! I thought Q1 sounded better than Q2 or 3.
Also if your using the compaq drivers the audigy has full openAL support in windows XP, like win9x the audigy now has no cpu usage for 3d sound.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 06/25/02 01:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I'll be driving compUSA crazy but i might just check out an Audigy for a few days to see how it works with those compaq drivers heh.

Waitin to hear Fatburgers conclusions on it too.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

FatBurger

Illustrious
that seems to be the major and most important downfall of the audigy in most peoples eyes

For the most part, yes. Some people just don't like Creative or don't like bloated drivers, but mostly it's stability. I've heard plenty of stories of stability problems, but I didn't have any. Who knows. Maybe I'm just used to Creative cards, maybe people are just idiots (not that we didn't already know that).

If something like the positioning isnt perfect I think most consumers could forgive that for a stable card with firewire and EAX3 support.

Yes, but I will still recommend the TBSC over the Audigy. Positioning and overall sound quality are better, and apparently the TBSC has awesome drivers. Firewire is used by almost nobody in the market the Audigy is targeted at. EAX3 is of course nice, but other cards will support it in the future.

and when you tried JK2 did you download and use the patch from creatives website for it?

No, I did not.

also SOF2 sounds great to me with eax3 but i dont really care for the game itself..

Glad to hear, I wish I had a copy of the game to listen to.

I'm waiting to see how trent reznors sounds in Doom 3 sounds like with eax advanced!

ID/Carmack doesn't have a big history of going out of his way to use specific optimizations, we'll have to wait and see if they decided EAX3 was worth the effort.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Was i wrong in assuming he GTXP and SC drivers were identicle?

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, you are. Even though the DSP is the same, pretty much everything else is different. It's not like a video card, where the drivers are interchangeable.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Cool, hey since you probably have your email notify you when someone replys to you I have a question

I'm ordering a new mobo tonight to test, and the choice is between the nforce 415 vs the sis745, which one? I need to order it tonight.. i need the most stable and compatible one.

the abit nforce i was looking at is out of agp 2 spec

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't have it turned on (I'd be getting way too many emails), but am I still allowed to answer?

Go with the SiS745. It's cheaper and faster, and probably more stable. nForce hasn't had a good selection of motherboards, either.
The MSI 745 Ultra is only like $60 and a great board.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Is SIS745 faster than KT333A? I cant find any benchies.

What chipset are you running your audigy on? I'm on a KT266A and it is perfectly stable (via 4in1s ver. 4.40 released today <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2</A>, and compaq drivers).
My divx Once Upon A Time In China was locking up in media player only, using the divx player it never locks up... so scratch another one off to 'blaming someone elses problem on the audigy', that you guys almost had me convinced in believing.

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
Nobody said that that I can remember. The card doesn't install. The drivers after being extracted from the exe will not install. Creative shifted the blame for the card not being installed to me and to via. If they would be smart and just write the damn driver update to not check to see if you have an audigy card then it might work. But we won't know because they haven't done that.

MStakem

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
my friends and i had no prob installing the audigy
i guess i dont understand your problem with the drivers

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
The driver update looks to see if I have an audigy installed. Oddly enough the audigy will not install correctly. So I can't use the driver update. It's that simple.

MStakem

FatBurger

Illustrious
There is no KT333A, but I'd guess the SiS745 is faster than the KT333. It's also cheaper and probably a bit more stable.

I have an i850 board.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
i was going off of pricewatch, search for kt333a and it brings up the gigabyte and ecs (which are not kt333a boards after going to their respective websites)

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah pricewatch bastards trying to fool the gullible of us. Not that I would order one without actually checking the product homepage anyway.

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Not trying to cause a big stir but I don't think the sis745 chipset is faster than the KT333 (I have no idea about stability) but I do know that if you go to motherboards.org and check out the top 10 list for AMD mobos that you won't find a sis745 chipset until you get close to the bottom of the list. (not that this website is the know all and end all but if they really were faster you would think they would end up somewhere closer to the top of the list and with higher performence ratings)

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***