Shure SM58LC microphones

Last response: in Home Audio
July 19, 2004 4:44:13 PM

Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 8:11:10 PM

While there are many mics out there much better sounding than the SM58,
it is still the most durable mic you can get for $100. Their handling
characteristics and sonic quality qualify them more for live sound but
you still see them in the studio sometimes. I have SM58's in my church
I bought back in 1986 that I still use mainly because I can't break them
and justify buying new ones.
They have a self proclaimed upper midrange boost you should be aware of.

Chumley the Walrus wrote:
> Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 8:35:24 PM

In article <1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>,
Chumley the Walrus <springb2k@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.

They are probably the world's most common vocal mikes.

If you don't pop your Ps, you might like the SM57 better.
Then again, you might not.
--scott
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 2:06:36 AM

On 19 Jul 2004 12:44:13 -0700, Chumley the Walrus <springb2k@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.

Clearly Good Enough for most everyone to use live, especially for
handheld use.

Watch most any live show.

It's a durable beast with, perhaps not a PERFECT sound, but it's a sound
everyone knows well.

If you shop for live vocal mics, you can look forward to this
discussion:

"Oh it's like the '58 BUT . . . "

It's not the newest kid on the block by a long stretch, and its sound is
decidedly distinctive. BUT, there's a good reason why they're still
making it after *insert insanely long number of years*
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:26:55 PM

Chumley the Walrus wrote:

> Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.

They'll work acceptably well with just about any gear and on just about
any voice. In a given application with a particular voice you'll almost
certainly find a better mic but it won't work as well on a different
voice or with a different PA. The SM58 is just about the most versatile
live mic around.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:45:52 PM

springb2k@yahoo.com (Chumley the Walrus) wrote in message news:<1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>...
> Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.

Yes, they are good general purpose vocal mics. I have 6 of them that
I use for live sound and occasionally I use one for voice-over work.

I also like the Sennheiser E835 which is a little bit brighter but
still smooth sounding and while priced the same as the SM58 for a
single, you can buy a
3 pack for $200, if you need more than one.

Lee Salter
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 6:13:07 PM

On 20 Jul 2004 16:45:52 -0700, Lee Salter <dlsalter@paonline.com> wrote:
> springb2k@yahoo.com (Chumley the Walrus) wrote in message news:<1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>...
>> Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.
>
> Yes, they are good general purpose vocal mics. I have 6 of them that
> I use for live sound and occasionally I use one for voice-over work.
>
> I also like the Sennheiser E835 which is a little bit brighter but
> still smooth sounding and while priced the same as the SM58 for a
> single, you can buy a
> 3 pack for $200, if you need more than one.

You might want to shop for matched sets as well. You can either DAGS on
"How to annoy salesmen while you match mics" (actually "How to purchase
microphones" . . some shops will also sell you pairs they've already
matched.

That applies to most any mic, though '57s and '58s are the ones I've
seen sold as "Matched Pairs" most often.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 6:13:08 PM

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles <cdkrug@aol.com> wrote:

>You might want to shop for matched sets as well. You can either DAGS on
>"How to annoy salesmen while you match mics" (actually "How to purchase
>microphones" . . some shops will also sell you pairs they've already
>matched.
>
>That applies to most any mic, though '57s and '58s are the ones I've
>seen sold as "Matched Pairs" most often.

Okay, I give up. WHY would anyone even want a matched pair of 57s or
58s? It's not like you're going to use them for stereo miking.
--scott

July 21, 2004 6:55:10 PM

On 21 Jul 2004 10:28:36 -0400, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles <cdkrug@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>You might want to shop for matched sets as well. You can either DAGS on
>>"How to annoy salesmen while you match mics" (actually "How to purchase
>>microphones" . . some shops will also sell you pairs they've already
>>matched.
>>
>>That applies to most any mic, though '57s and '58s are the ones I've
>>seen sold as "Matched Pairs" most often.
>
> Okay, I give up. WHY would anyone even want a matched pair of 57s or
> 58s? It's not like you're going to use them for stereo miking.
> --scott

*shrugs* Ask the guy who's selling 'em . .

I've worked live with groups who "INSISTED" that all the vocal channels
on the board be setup identically (one of those "nod as you fix it"
situations). I imagine they'd want 'em.

I can't imagine a studio situation where I would, but LOTS of
"unimaginable" things have been done on particular projects.

A certain poor brown boy who grew up to be a wealthy white woman is
reputed to have burned through a pile of ribbon mics using them on kick
drum.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:27:33 PM

dlsalter@paonline.com (Lee Salter) wrote in message news:<1a17482c.0407201545.11dba3f6@posting.google.com>...
> springb2k@yahoo.com (Chumley the Walrus) wrote in message news:<1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>...
> > Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.
>
> Yes, they are good general purpose vocal mics. I have 6 of them that
> I use for live sound and occasionally I use one for voice-over work.
>
> I also like the Sennheiser E835 which is a little bit brighter but
> still smooth sounding and while priced the same as the SM58 for a
> single, you can buy a
> 3 pack for $200, if you need more than one.
>
> Lee Salter

We also have a Sennheiser 835, and we've noticed it feeds back thru
our PA (2 Mackie 1400s with EV 18" bottoms and Yamaha 15"s). Since the
SM58s aren't as bright, perhaps we may eliminate/curtail this problem
?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 5:54:03 PM

Chumley the Walrus <springb2k@yahoo.com> wrote:
>dlsalter@paonline.com (Lee Salter) wrote in message news:<1a17482c.0407201545.11dba3f6@posting.google.com>...
>> springb2k@yahoo.com (Chumley the Walrus) wrote in message news:<1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>...
>> > Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.
>>
>> Yes, they are good general purpose vocal mics. I have 6 of them that
>> I use for live sound and occasionally I use one for voice-over work.
>>
>> I also like the Sennheiser E835 which is a little bit brighter but
>> still smooth sounding and while priced the same as the SM58 for a
>> single, you can buy a
>> 3 pack for $200, if you need more than one.
>>
>We also have a Sennheiser 835, and we've noticed it feeds back thru
>our PA (2 Mackie 1400s with EV 18" bottoms and Yamaha 15"s). Since the
>SM58s aren't as bright, perhaps we may eliminate/curtail this problem
>?

The e835 has an outrageously wide and sloppy pattern. If you like the
tone on it, try the e855.

Brightness has nothing to do with it. Poor pattern control does.
The SM58 is okay in that regard but not much better than the e835.
--scott
July 22, 2004 9:42:35 PM

<< We also have a Sennheiser 835, and we've noticed it feeds back thru
our PA (2 Mackie 1400s with EV 18" bottoms and Yamaha 15"s). Since the
SM58s aren't as bright, perhaps we may eliminate/curtail this problem
? >>

Any mic can be made to feed back if the gain & positioning of the system are
not right. SM58s will certainly feed back, too, if not set up properly. It has
practically nothing to do with the "brightness" of the mic. If you prefer the
sound of the Sennheisers, keep them & get some system EQ & a person to set it
for you to eliminate the feedback.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:28:48 PM

springb2k@yahoo.com (Chumley the Walrus) wrote in message news:<1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>...
> Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.

I just bought a dvd of "The Three Pickers", a PBS concert video of
Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson and Ricky Skaggs ... with Alison Krauss
guesting on a few tunes. There were sm58s all over the place and the
audio sounds great. Then again those folks would sound great through
just about anything.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:22:33 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, Shure originally marketed the SM58 as
a news gathering mic (early 70's?). Somehow it turned out to be one of
those products in the right place at the right time to hit it off with
the live performers. Back then if you had a band with SM58's, a TAPCO
mixer, a crown DC300, and voice of the theatre speakers (amp?) you were
set :)

Kelly Dueck wrote:
> springb2k@yahoo.com (Chumley the Walrus) wrote in message news:<1ef65641.0407191144.503af886@posting.google.com>...
>
>>Wondering if these are good vocal mikes for $100.
>

> I just bought a dvd of "The Three Pickers", a PBS concert video of
> Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson and Ricky Skaggs ... with Alison Krauss
> guesting on a few tunes. There were sm58s all over the place and the
> audio sounds great. Then again those folks would sound great through
> just about anything.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 9:03:05 PM

In article <cd189750.0407230728.265b9e1@posting.google.com>, Kelly
Dueck <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote:

> I just bought a dvd of "The Three Pickers", a PBS concert video of
> Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson and Ricky Skaggs ... with Alison Krauss
> guesting on a few tunes. There were sm58s all over the place and the
> audio sounds great. Then again those folks would sound great through
> just about anything.

Wait, you mean talent matters?
July 23, 2004 9:03:06 PM

j t wrote:

> In article <cd189750.0407230728.265b9e1@posting.google.com>, Kelly
> Dueck <kellyd@escape.ca> wrote:
>
>> I just bought a dvd of "The Three Pickers", a PBS concert video of
>> Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson and Ricky Skaggs ... with Alison Krauss
>> guesting on a few tunes. There were sm58s all over the place and the
>> audio sounds great. Then again those folks would sound great through
>> just about anything.
>

> Wait, you mean talent matters?

Well damn the bad luck!
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:16:33 AM

In article <cdluik$arq$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles <cdkrug@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >You might want to shop for matched sets as well. You can either DAGS on
> >"How to annoy salesmen while you match mics" (actually "How to purchase
> >microphones" . . some shops will also sell you pairs they've already
> >matched.
> >
> >That applies to most any mic, though '57s and '58s are the ones I've
> >seen sold as "Matched Pairs" most often.
>
> Okay, I give up. WHY would anyone even want a matched pair of 57s or
> 58s? It's not like you're going to use them for stereo miking.

And how would you get a 'matched pair' anyway? From some knucklehead
that said they were matched?? No two that I've ever heard have ever
sounded alike...

Regards,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net