M-Audio: Audiphile 2496 or Delta-44

Last response: in Home Audio
July 19, 2004 5:50:06 PM

Hello, I am about to buy a sound card and trying to make a decision
between the 2. Is there any difference in sound quality from them.

I am aware that the 2496 has only 2 inputs, but its has midi and digital
.. That's good enough for me, I don't need 4 inputs and outputs. I also
have a pre-amp so i don't really need an outside box like in delta (if
that helps). I am mainly interested in the sound quality.

Does anyone know if the delta is better in sound quality. Quick response
will be greatly appreciated cause I am about to buy one as soon as i can
(today). Thanks.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 9:56:29 PM

"chowdhury" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am about to buy a sound card and trying to make a decision
> between the 2. Is there any difference in sound quality from them.
>
> I am aware that the 2496 has only 2 inputs, but its has midi and
> digital . That's good enough for me, I don't need 4 inputs and
> outputs. I also have a pre-amp so i don't really need an outside box
> like in delta (if that helps). I am mainly interested in the sound
> quality.
>
> Does anyone know if the delta is better in sound quality. Quick
> response will be greatly appreciated cause I am about to buy one as
> soon as i can (today). Thanks.

The Delta is designed work with standard audio production levels. The
Audiophile isn't.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 9:56:30 PM

I have a berringer ultragain pro pre-amp. I going to feed the Soundcard
input from the pre-amp. Hopefully this info helps in deciding which card
is better for me. Thanks.

Arny Krueger wrote:

> "chowdhury" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello, I am about to buy a sound card and trying to make a decision
>>between the 2. Is there any difference in sound quality from them.
>>
>>I am aware that the 2496 has only 2 inputs, but its has midi and
>>digital . That's good enough for me, I don't need 4 inputs and
>>outputs. I also have a pre-amp so i don't really need an outside box
>>like in delta (if that helps). I am mainly interested in the sound
>>quality.
>>
>>Does anyone know if the delta is better in sound quality. Quick
>>response will be greatly appreciated cause I am about to buy one as
>>soon as i can (today). Thanks.
>

> The Delta is designed work with standard audio production levels. The
> Audiophile isn't.

July 20, 2004 1:33:26 AM

chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<juudnVirw_FB0WHdRVn-sw@comcast.com>...
> I have a berringer ultragain pro pre-amp. I going to feed the Soundcard
> input from the pre-amp. Hopefully this info helps in deciding which card
> is better for me. Thanks.
>

> Arny Krueger wrote:
>
> > "chowdhury" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hello, I am about to buy a sound card and trying to make a decision
> >>between the 2. Is there any difference in sound quality from them.
> >>
> >>I am aware that the 2496 has only 2 inputs, but its has midi and
> >>digital . That's good enough for me, I don't need 4 inputs and
> >>outputs. I also have a pre-amp so i don't really need an outside box
> >>like in delta (if that helps). I am mainly interested in the sound
> >>quality.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know if the delta is better in sound quality. Quick
> >>response will be greatly appreciated cause I am about to buy one as
> >>soon as i can (today). Thanks.
> >

> > The Delta is designed work with standard audio production levels. The
> > Audiophile isn't.

Hello, I was in the exact same situation. I found that the Echo Mia
Midi is a better choice than the audiophile due to the +4 dbv
levels(pro) and the balanced 1/4 inch inputs/outputs(pro). I usually
rent vintage outboard mic pre's and run them into the echo - I was
floor'd by the sound when I first heard it. I will be adding another
mia to increase my inputs to 4.

"The secret to this whole gear craze is to pick a setup and stick with
it"
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:01:22 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:42:04 -0700, chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a berringer ultragain pro pre-amp. I going to feed the Soundcard
>input from the pre-amp. Hopefully this info helps in deciding which card
>is better for me. Thanks.

In that case, as long as you can set the levels right on whichever
one you get, it will make no noticable difference whatsoever to the
sound.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:26:08 AM

chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<juudnVirw_FB0WHdRVn-sw@comcast.com>...
> I have a berringer ultragain pro pre-amp. I going to feed the Soundcard
> input from the pre-amp. Hopefully this info helps in deciding which card
> is better for me. Thanks.
>

> > The Delta is designed work with standard audio production levels. The
> > Audiophile isn't.

To explain that further to you, consumer gear uses inputs that accept
-10 dB level, and that's what the Audiophile is made for. Pro gear
uses inputs that accept the +4 dB level, which the Delta is made for.

The Berringer would overload the Audiophile. So what he is saying is
that it looks like you need the Delta.

By the way, it appears as though you have a lot of questions. If you
access this group through google intstead of newsgroups, you can get
many questions answered by using the 'within this group' option of the
search at the top. That way, you don't have to post with questions
that have been asked and answered so many times already here.

Good luck.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:14:36 AM

"Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:42:04 -0700, chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I have a berringer ultragain pro pre-amp. I going to feed the
>> Soundcard input from the pre-amp. Hopefully this info helps in
>> deciding which card is better for me. Thanks.

> In that case, as long as you can set the levels right on whichever
> one you get, it will make no noticable difference whatsoever to the
> sound.

It's not always that easy, because modern sound cards as a rule lack analog
input level controls. Therefore the peak levels you can use on the source
are going to be limited to the input overload point of the sound card, which
for consumer cards including the AP2496, is about 1 volt.

A possible work-around would be to add some kind of passive analog
attenuator to the input of the sound card, one that provided 10-15 dB loss.

Most good audio production gear is designed to handle and deliver peak
levels on the order of 6 volts or more. So, you're going to have to give up
about 15 dB of the potential dynamic range of any standard audio production
equipment that you use with a consumer sound card. To put this into a real
world context, most good audio production gear has over 80 dB dynamic range,
and some of it has up to 120 dB dynamic range or more. Depending on the rest
of the equipment, this loss of 15 dB dynamic range is either a nit or limit
with some significance.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:45:28 PM

In article <atGdnbMcSP4RY2Hd4p2dnA@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:42:04 -0700, chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I have a berringer ultragain pro pre-amp. I going to feed the
> >> Soundcard input from the pre-amp. Hopefully this info helps in
> >> deciding which card is better for me.

> It's not always that easy, because modern sound cards as a rule lack analog
> input level controls. Therefore the peak levels you can use on the source
> are going to be limited to the input overload point of the sound card, which
> for consumer cards including the AP2496, is about 1 volt.

> Most good audio production gear is designed to handle and deliver peak
> levels on the order of 6 volts or more. So, you're going to have to give up
> about 15 dB of the potential dynamic range of any standard audio production
> equipment that you use with a consumer sound card.

Another issue is that a typical mic preamp these days has 60 dB of
gain. Regardless of its nominal operating level (-10 dBV or +4 dBu),
for a given sound pressure level at a given microphone, both will have
the same output level, as long as that doesn't exceed the maxiumum
level of the preamp. Since most +4 dBu devices (which includes most
outboard mic preamps) these days have a maximum output level of +22 to
+24 dBu, and most nominal +4 dBu sound cards are calibrated so that
full scale is reached with an input level of +20 to +24 dBu, if you
need a lot of gain in the mic preamp, you're more likely to be able to
reach full scale for a given SPL if you use it with a sound card with
a -10 dBV input. But you're also likely to be able to drive the card's
A/D cnverter into clipping.

Also, if you need a lot of gain, you're more likely to reach or very
nearly reach clipping of the preamp when going into a +4 nominal input
than a -10 nominal input. You won't clip the sound card's A/D
converter (the preamp may simply not be capable of putting out enough
voltage to do so) but you'll be making a nice clean recording of a
clipped (by the preamp) signal.

This leads to "this mic isn't very hot" or "this preamp isn't very
hot" issues which could be solved if it was possible to adjust the
input sensitivity of the sound card to match the preamp output level.
The real solution would be to settle on a standard for analog vs.
digital calibration, that would mean that too many manufacturers would
have to change their products, or change their marketing.

July 20, 2004 3:45:29 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Another issue is that a typical mic preamp these days has 60 dB of
> gain. Regardless of its nominal operating level (-10 dBV or +4 dBu),
> for a given sound pressure level at a given microphone, both will have
> the same output level, as long as that doesn't exceed the maxiumum
> level of the preamp. Since most +4 dBu devices (which includes most
> outboard mic preamps) these days have a maximum output level of +22 to
> +24 dBu, and most nominal +4 dBu sound cards are calibrated so that
> full scale is reached with an input level of +20 to +24 dBu, if you
> need a lot of gain in the mic preamp, you're more likely to be able to
> reach full scale for a given SPL if you use it with a sound card with
> a -10 dBV input. But you're also likely to be able to drive the card's
> A/D cnverter into clipping.
>
> Also, if you need a lot of gain, you're more likely to reach or very
> nearly reach clipping of the preamp when going into a +4 nominal input
> than a -10 nominal input. You won't clip the sound card's A/D
> converter (the preamp may simply not be capable of putting out enough
> voltage to do so) but you'll be making a nice clean recording of a
> clipped (by the preamp) signal.
>
> This leads to "this mic isn't very hot" or "this preamp isn't very
> hot" issues which could be solved if it was possible to adjust the
> input sensitivity of the sound card to match the preamp output level.

I often find that switching my ADI-8DS input gain to a lower setting gives me a lower noisefloor than cranking the preamp up. I would miss that functionality in many of today's converters.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:22:31 PM

> In article <atGdnbMcSP4RY2Hd4p2dnA@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com
> writes:

>> It's not always that easy, because modern sound cards as a rule lack
>> analog input level controls. Therefore the peak levels you can use
>> on the source are going to be limited to the input overload point of
>> the sound card, which for consumer cards including the AP2496, is
>> about 1 volt.
>
>> Most good audio production gear is designed to handle and deliver
>> peak levels on the order of 6 volts or more. So, you're going to
>> have to give up about 15 dB of the potential dynamic range of any
>> standard audio production equipment that you use with a consumer
>> sound card.

> Another issue is that a typical mic preamp these days has 60 dB of
> gain. Regardless of its nominal operating level (-10 dBV or +4 dBu),
> for a given sound pressure level at a given microphone, both will have
> the same output level, as long as that doesn't exceed the maxiumum
> level of the preamp.

Right, because a mic preamp with 60 dB gain has 60 dB gain no matter what
the reference level it is designed for.

> Since most +4 dBu devices (which includes most
> outboard mic preamps) these days have a maximum output level of +22 to
> +24 dBu,

Agreed.

> and most nominal +4 dBu sound cards are calibrated so that
> full scale is reached with an input level of +20 to +24 dBu,

I would say more like 14 to 16 dB.

> if you need a lot of gain in the mic preamp, you're more likely to be
able to
> reach full scale for a given SPL if you use it with a sound card with
> a -10 dBV input.

In essence this adds about 11 dB gain.

<But you're also likely to be able to drive the card's A/D cnverter into
clipping.

That's the sitch with consumer sound cards. Most of the Delta series cards
other than the "Audiophile" series are switchable for -10 dB or +4 (nominal)
inputs. My recollection is that in either case, clipping is about 10 dB
higher than the nominal input.

> Also, if you need a lot of gain, you're more likely to reach or very
> nearly reach clipping of the preamp when going into a +4 nominal input
> than a -10 nominal input.

Because the card is like to clip first.

> You won't clip the sound card's A/D
> converter (the preamp may simply not be capable of putting out enough
> voltage to do so) but you'll be making a nice clean recording of a
> clipped (by the preamp) signal.

Given that most sound cards in +4 mode clip about 6 dB lower than most audio
production gear including mic preamps, I'd put the sound card up as being
the most likely to clip, either way.

> This leads to "this mic isn't very hot" or "this preamp isn't very
> hot" issues which could be solved if it was possible to adjust the
> input sensitivity of the sound card to match the preamp output level.

Good point, if the sound card lets you choose between -10 and +4. Think of
the -10 input sensitivity as an 11 dB un-attenuator.

> The real solution would be to settle on a standard for analog vs.
> digital calibration, that would mean that too many manufacturers would
> have to change their products, or change their marketing.

IME most cards in +4 mode reach FS at a point that is either 10 or 12 dB
over nominal input. On the one had a standard would be nice, but a 2 dB
range is generally not a biggie. Of course people need to learn that digital
is not going to suddenly start sounding bad, just because there's up to 2 dB
headroom.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:45:08 PM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

> I often find that switching my ADI-8DS input gain to a lower setting
> gives me a lower noisefloor than cranking the preamp up.

As you know, that means that either the preamp and/or the card's dynamic
range is not constant with changes in gain.

I wonder which device is dominant here. I would guess that its the preamp.

If a gain control is at the output of a device, then its dynamic range does
not change with changes in gain. The noise floor moves up and down along
with changes in output due to changes of the gain control.

If a gain control is at the input of a device, then dynamic range tends to
increase with an increase in gain. IOW the noise floor tends not to move
down with a decrease of the output due to a decrease in the setting of the
gain control.

Your example seems to follow neither rule. This corresponds to a gain
control someplace in the middle of the device, which is a common pattern
with mic preamps.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:49:17 PM

In article <CZOdnTbNh5xI_2DdRVn-iQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> IME most cards in +4 mode reach FS at a point that is either 10 or 12 dB
> over nominal input. On the one had a standard would be nice, but a 2 dB
> range is generally not a biggie.

You've run thorugh a lot of sound cards, so I'll trust your
observation. However, I'd rather have more than 12 dB of headroom over
the nominal operating level, considering that mic preamps typically
have 18-22 dB of headroom over their operating level. I calibrate my
DAT so that +4 dBu out of my console is -20 dBFS. I'm pretty sure my
Lynx L22 is about the same, maybe -18 dBFS. But my Mackie HDR24/96
requires +24 dBu to light the clip light and my console won't quite
make that cleanly. So my Mackie levels are always quite conservative.

> Of course people need to learn that digital
> is not going to suddenly start sounding bad, just because there's up to 2 dB
> headroom.

Some A/D converters do get a little funky the last couple of dB before
full scale. With 16 bits, I used to try to keep peaks higher than
-6 dBFS, but with 24-bit recording, I don't worry if they never make
it past -10. But then I'm not very fussy, and I don't have a
compulsion to make playback systems distort when playing my
recordings.

July 21, 2004 7:19:13 PM

"John Fowler" <jflx@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> To explain that further to you, consumer gear uses inputs that accept
> -10 dB level, and that's what the Audiophile is made for. Pro gear
> uses inputs that accept the +4 dB level, which the Delta is made for.
>
> The Berringer would overload the Audiophile. So what he is saying is
> that it looks like you need the Delta.

Not necessarily. The Delta is more suitable sure, but the Behringer WON'T
overload the Audiophile if you know how to adjust levels. Can we assume the
software has proper metering?
What's more, the recorder outputs are probably at consumer levels, so it
will depend on how you plan to connect it as well. If he still had problems
he could simply use pads.
IMO the real benefit of a soundcard with +4dB inputs is to provide the
possibility of better dynamic range within the soundcard.

TonyP.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 7:19:14 PM

In article <40fdfcd7$0$25463$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au> TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

> Can we assume the
> software has proper metering?

Some does and some doesn't. It's getting better as a generalization.
The trick is to get the user to actually LOOK at the meters, and to
understand that he's NOT doing something wrong if they aren't sitting
at full scale all the time.

July 21, 2004 7:19:14 PM

"TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au> wrote in message
> "John Fowler" <jflx@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> To explain that further to you, consumer gear uses inputs that accept
>> -10 dB level, and that's what the Audiophile is made for. Pro gear
>> uses inputs that accept the +4 dB level, which the Delta is made for.

>> The Berringer would overload the Audiophile. So what he is saying is
>> that it looks like you need the Delta.
>
> Not necessarily. The Delta is more suitable sure, but the Behringer
> WON'T overload the Audiophile if you know how to adjust levels. Can
> we assume the software has proper metering?

In the end it does, because you can always monitor the recording. That's
usually more representtative than meters, anyway.

However, my point has been that if you do that, you're giving up something
like 15 dB worth of dynamic range in the source unless you add some
attenuation before the input of the consumer audio interface card.

> What's more, the recorder outputs are probably at consumer levels, so
> it will depend on how you plan to connect it as well. If he still had
> problems he could simply use pads.

Exactly.

> IMO the real benefit of a soundcard with +4dB inputs is to provide the
> possibility of better dynamic range within the soundcard.

Now that we have $100 sound cards with ca. 100 dB dynamic range, its
probably not the weakest link. But as I've shown, consumer sound cards can
force other parts of the system into suboptimal operation. And yes, you can
probably give up 15 dB dynamic range without problems, but you don't want to
do it more than once. You may rather use that 15 dB for headroom.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 7:53:44 PM

In article <CZOdnTbNh5xI_2DdRVn-iQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> > IME most cards in +4 mode reach FS at a point that is either 10 or
12 dB
> > over nominal input. On the one had a standard would be nice, but a 2
dB
> > range is generally not a biggie.

I'm not positive about this, but I think the output of the MBox will
only reach +4 with a 0dBFS signal. Kind of annoying when you're trying
to interface with pro analog gear downstream.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 9:12:17 PM

> "TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au> wrote in message
> > "John Fowler" <jflx@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> >> To explain that further to you, consumer gear uses inputs that accept
> >> -10 dB level, and that's what the Audiophile is made for. Pro gear
> >> uses inputs that accept the +4 dB level, which the Delta is made for.

I didn't catch this whole thread but the Delta has selectable -10/+4 inputs
and outputs and the Audiophile might too.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 9:12:18 PM

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au> wrote in message
>>> "John Fowler" <jflx@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I didn't catch this whole thread but the Delta has selectable -10/+4
> inputs and outputs and the Audiophile might too.

The rest of the Delta line is -10/+4 selectable, but not the AP2496.

Compare

http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/manuals/Audiophile2496...

Page 24 - the picture of the control panel, under "Variable Settings -
Output"

(there are no input voltage settings - the card just clips at I believe it
is 1.2 volts)

http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/manuals/Delta1010LT-Ma...

"In the first layer there are three selections available for globally
setting the operating line
levels for the Delta 1010LT's analog input and output ports. These
selections are labeled
"+4dBu," "Consumer" (-4dB), and "-10dBV," represented by sets of radio
buttons each for
both the Delta analog inputs and the Delta analog outputs. These sections
are labeled "All
Inputs" and "All Outputs," respectively."

This is typical of most of the PCI cards in the Delta series.

The 1010 differs in that it uses individual input and output -10/+4
pushbutton switches on the interface box.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 9:12:19 PM

Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion. I bought the Delta
because it has the balanced inputs. Plus its so cheap nowadays only
$150, Audiophile cost $100.

Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au> wrote in message

>>I didn't catch this whole thread but the Delta has selectable -10/+4
>>inputs and outputs and the Audiophile might too.
>

> The rest of the Delta line is -10/+4 selectable, but not the AP2496.
>
> Compare
>
> http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/manuals/Audiophile2496...
>
> Page 24 - the picture of the control panel, under "Variable Settings -
> Output"
>
> (there are no input voltage settings - the card just clips at I believe it
> is 1.2 volts)

> http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/manuals/Delta1010LT-Ma...
>
> "In the first layer there are three selections available for globally
> setting the operating line
> levels for the Delta 1010LT's analog input and output ports. These
> selections are labeled
> "+4dBu," "Consumer" (-4dB), and "-10dBV," represented by sets of radio
> buttons each for
> both the Delta analog inputs and the Delta analog outputs. These sections
> are labeled "All
> Inputs" and "All Outputs," respectively."
>
> This is typical of most of the PCI cards in the Delta series.
>
> The 1010 differs in that it uses individual input and output -10/+4
> pushbutton switches on the interface box.

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:11:40 PM

In article <ckwLc.107260$eO.80936@edtnps89> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> I'm not positive about this, but I think the output of the MBox will
> only reach +4 with a 0dBFS signal. Kind of annoying when you're trying
> to interface with pro analog gear downstream.

Give or take a couple, that's typical of a "-10 dBV" sound card with
an optimistic 15 or 16 dB of pseudo-headroom. It's not really suitable
for driving a +4 dBu device unless you like to have a lot of headroom
that you will never use.

July 21, 2004 11:11:24 PM

> Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion. I bought the
> Delta because it has the balanced inputs. Plus its so cheap nowadays
> only $150, Audiophile cost $100.

The Delta 44 and Delta 66 don't have true balanced I/O. The input is simply
unbalanced (ring hooked to air) while the outputs are impedance balanced
(ring hooked to a resistor to ground).

The 1010 has true balanced inputs, but just impedance balanced outputs.

the 1010LT has two balanced inputs, while the rest of the inputs and outputs
are RCAs and therefore obviously unbalanced.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 4:41:18 AM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:11:24 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>"chowdhury" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion. I bought the
>> Delta because it has the balanced inputs. Plus its so cheap nowadays
>> only $150, Audiophile cost $100.
>
>The Delta 44 and Delta 66 don't have true balanced I/O. The input is simply
>unbalanced (ring hooked to air)

Actually, the ring is connnected to a resistor (with the same
resistance as the tip's input impedance) to ground, apparently so that
the input gets correctly (sort-of) driven by a balanced transformer
output. Otherwise a transformer would just drive the unconnected ring,
with nothing into the tip.

>while the outputs are impedance balanced
>(ring hooked to a resistor to ground).
>
>The 1010 has true balanced inputs, but just impedance balanced outputs.
>
>the 1010LT has two balanced inputs, while the rest of the inputs and outputs
>are RCAs and therefore obviously unbalanced.

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:04:27 AM

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:11:24 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
> wrote:

>> "chowdhury" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion. I bought the
>>> Delta because it has the balanced inputs. Plus its so cheap nowadays
>>> only $150, Audiophile cost $100.

>> The Delta 44 and Delta 66 don't have true balanced I/O. The input is
>> simply unbalanced (ring hooked to air)

> Actually, the ring is connnected to a resistor (with the same
> resistance as the tip's input impedance) to ground, apparently so that
> the input gets correctly (sort-of) driven by a balanced transformer
> output. Otherwise a transformer would just drive the unconnected ring,
> with nothing into the tip.

Thanks for the correction.

>> while the outputs are impedance balanced
>> (ring hooked to a resistor to ground).

>> The 1010 has true balanced inputs, but just impedance balanced
>> outputs.

>> the 1010LT has two balanced inputs, while the rest of the inputs and
>> outputs are RCAs and therefore obviously unbalanced.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:59:29 PM

If Delta does not have true balanced inputs then is it not that good,
whats a better card at under $250 price range (the 1010 is under $250
but i need max 4 inputs, its a overkill). I am not searching Google for
this cause prices have come down a lot and the google information is too
old probably?

Arny Krueger wrote:
> "chowdhury" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion. I bought the
>>Delta because it has the balanced inputs. Plus its so cheap nowadays
>>only $150, Audiophile cost $100.
>

> The Delta 44 and Delta 66 don't have true balanced I/O. The input is simply
> unbalanced (ring hooked to air) while the outputs are impedance balanced
> (ring hooked to a resistor to ground).
>
> The 1010 has true balanced inputs, but just impedance balanced outputs.
>
> the 1010LT has two balanced inputs, while the rest of the inputs and outputs
> are RCAs and therefore obviously unbalanced.

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:46:35 PM

> If Delta does not have true balanced inputs then is it not that good,

I dunno. I use a Delta 66 all the time. I fought the battle got my noise
issues under control (not much of a battle), and it just works.

> whats a better card at under $250 price range (the 1010 is under $250
> but i need max 4 inputs, its a overkill). I am not searching Google
> for this cause prices have come down a lot and the google information
> is too old probably?

Well, you could get two Terratec Phase 22's on sale for about $120 each. The
do have true balanced inputs, it seems. Terratch says they have an internal
cable to link them together for 4-analog in, 4 analog out.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:50:28 AM

In article <rMOdnS0h1o6GYmLdRVn-gQ@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com writes:

> If Delta does not have true balanced inputs then is it not that good,
> whats a better card at under $250 price range (the 1010 is under $250
> but i need max 4 inputs, its a overkill).

Buy the overkill. It's cheap. You don't have to use what you don't
need.

You can't buy less with more for less.

July 23, 2004 10:03:11 PM

> In article <rMOdnS0h1o6GYmLdRVn-gQ@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com writes:
> > If Delta does not have true balanced inputs then is it not that good,
> > whats a better card at under $250 price range (the 1010 is under $250
> > but i need max 4 inputs, its a overkill).

The Delta 1010 is considerably more than $250.
The 1010LT only has 2 balanced inputs, no balanced outputs.

> Buy the overkill. It's cheap. You don't have to use what you don't
> need.

Actually I don't think it even reaches his stated requirement. Assuming he
really needs balanced I/O. He seems to think so anyway.

> You can't buy less with more for less.

??? :-)

TonyP.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:03:12 PM

> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>> In article <rMOdnS0h1o6GYmLdRVn-gQ@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com
>> writes:
>>> If Delta does not have true balanced inputs then is it not that
>>> good, whats a better card at under $250 price range (the 1010 is
>>> under $250 but i need max 4 inputs, its a overkill).

> The Delta 1010 is considerably more than $250.

I think its about $450 for the 1010 on the current sale, compared to about
$220 for the 1010LT.

> The 1010LT only has 2 balanced inputs,

Right.

>no balanced outputs.

Neither interface has truly balanced outputs.

BTW, there's some crazy low M-Audio pricing out there, such as AP2496s under
$100. For example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=M-audio+pc...
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:03:12 PM

In article <4100c644$0$18190$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au> TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

> > You can't buy less with more for less.
>
> ??? :-)

Less(1) = fewer inputs
More = All inputs balanced
Less(2) = money

I've been looking for shorthand for the concept that when you want
what seems like less than what a mass market manufacturer has built,
but want to trade what seems like a lot less (4 inputs rather than 10)
for what seems like a little more (all balanced inputs, even if it's
only four), you can't get it for less money than the full blown model.

The reason is that they have (or can create) a large market for the
product as they designed it, and have decided that there's little
market for what one person on a newsgroup would rather have. Because
of the economy of selling a large quantity of product, they can
actually build what seems like a more complex product cheaper than
what seems like a simpler one.

You can get four balanced inputs and four balanced outputs and
excellent A/D and D/A conversion from a Lynx TWO, but it costs quite a
bit more than a Delta 1010 (or at least considerably more than the
$250 quoted for a 1010, which is in question).

July 23, 2004 10:03:13 PM

news:D ZednU2r4PsNUJ3cRVn-jA@comcast.com

> BTW, there's some crazy low M-Audio pricing out there, such as
> AP2496s under $100. For example:
>
> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=M-audio+pc...

I wonder if there is going to be some heavy downward pressure on audio
interface pricing coming up.

EMu has what appear to be some new strong offerings, while Terratec's Phase
22 would be an interesting starting point for a new line of more
professional products.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:03:13 PM

> You can get four balanced inputs and four balanced outputs and
> excellent A/D and D/A conversion from a Lynx TWO, but it costs quite a
> bit more than a Delta 1010 (or at least considerably more than the
> $250 quoted for a 1010, which is in question).

The $220 is for a Delta 1010LT, which is not a question in my mind, given
that I spent the money, have the card, it works, and I've even posted a
technical test of it at
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/delta-1010lt/index.h... .

It has two balanced inputs with a total of 8 analog in and out. the bad news
is that the rest of the analog I/O is RCA jacks. The good news is that it
has word clock in and out like the big 1010, as well as the SP/DIF I/O and
+4 dBu analog I/O.

Performance is about the same as a Delta 66, but seriously lags the 1010 in
terms of noise and dynamc range.

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/delta-1010/index.htm

Ironically, I may have to redo this test, because it has going-bad power
supply electrolytic written all over it.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:03:14 PM

In article <7fadnYQYZ8brUp3cRVn-hQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> EMu has what appear to be some new strong offerings, while Terratec's Phase
> 22 would be an interesting starting point for a new line of more
> professional products.

I've tried, but somehow I just can't get myself to consider any of
Terratec's offerings to be "professional products." Not that I have
any reason to suspect the performance (I've never tried one) but they
can't seem to get a good solid corporate presence, at least in the US.
I know Mr. Lynx and Mr. Echo, and I can find Mr. M-Audio without too
much difficulty, but who's Mr. Terratec?

July 23, 2004 10:03:15 PM

> In article <7fadnYQYZ8brUp3cRVn-hQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com
> writes:

>> EMu has what appear to be some new strong offerings, while
>> Terratec's Phase 22 would be an interesting starting point for a
>> new line of more professional products.

> I've tried, but somehow I just can't get myself to consider any of
> Terratec's offerings to be "professional products." Not that I have
> any reason to suspect the performance (I've never tried one) but they
> can't seem to get a good solid corporate presence, at least in the US.
> I know Mr. Lynx and Mr. Echo, and I can find Mr. M-Audio without too
> much difficulty, but who's Mr. Terratec?

Good points. Frankly the Phase 22 is the only card of theirs that is solidly
an audio production card by virtue of its balanced ins and outs. But its not
really a +4 card. It's pricing at just over $100 may explain the under-$100
pricing of the M-Audio Audiophile. Ironically, their Germany web site
doesn't seem to list it as a product. But their Asian web site does.
http://www.terratec.com.tw/eng/product/phase/phase22/sp...

BTW, do you know who is Mr. EMu?

;-)
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:03:16 PM

Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:

>BTW, do you know who is Mr. EMu?

He is the older brother of Big Bird from Sesame Street.
--scott
July 23, 2004 10:03:16 PM

In article <xJidncK92ezbuJzcRVn-rA@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> BTW, do you know who is Mr. EMu?

I used to, when he was Mr. Ensoniq, but then he became Mr. TASCAM, and
now I don't know where he is.

July 23, 2004 10:03:17 PM

Thanks again for all the responses. I am not saying that i need
balanaced inputs. I don't know. Is the Delta good enough or do I need to
get another card with true balanced inputs. I like the breakout box
thing with 4 inputs. IS THERE A BETTER CARD OUT THEIR WITH 4 TRUE
BALANACED INPUTS AND COST UNDER $300? Delta 1010LT has only 2 balanced
input so its not enough (plus its also not truly balanced right?). ALSO
CAN I WORK WITH THE DELTA-44 TO GET VERY GOOD RESULTS? Thanks.

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:
>
>>BTW, do you know who is Mr. EMu?
>

> He is the older brother of Big Bird from Sesame Street.
> --scott
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:03:18 PM

In article <zcKdnc_HM6xH1pzc4p2dnA@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks again for all the responses. I am not saying that i need
> balanaced inputs. I don't know. Is the Delta good enough or do I need to
> get another card with true balanced inputs.

The Delta is good enough for anyone who isn't sure. That's as simple
as I can state it.

July 25, 2004 4:33:18 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <zcKdnc_HM6xH1pzc4p2dnA@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com writes:
>

>>Thanks again for all the responses. I am not saying that i need
>>balanaced inputs. I don't know. Is the Delta good enough or do I need to
>>get another card with true balanced inputs.
>

> The Delta is good enough for anyone who isn't sure. That's as simple
> as I can state it.

I meant true balanaced input. I want balanced inputs. It says in the box
the delta has balanced input. I talked to the pro in Guitar Center and
he says the Delta balanced inputs are fine. But people here are saying
the delta does not have true balanced input. So is the balanced input
provided by Delta good enough or I need to get a Terratec which is
supposed to have a true balanced input.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:08:43 AM

> Mike Rivers wrote:
>> In article <zcKdnc_HM6xH1pzc4p2dnA@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com
>> writes:
>>

>>> Thanks again for all the responses. I am not saying that i need
>>> balanaced inputs. I don't know. Is the Delta good enough or do I
>>> need to get another card with true balanced inputs.
>>

>> The Delta is good enough for anyone who isn't sure. That's as simple
>> as I can state it.
>
> I meant true balanaced input. I want balanced inputs. It says in the
> box the delta has balanced input. I talked to the pro in Guitar
> Center and he says the Delta balanced inputs are fine. But people
> here are saying the delta does not have true balanced input. So is
> the balanced input provided by Delta good enough or I need to get a
> Terratec which is supposed to have a true balanced input.

Which Delta?

The 1010 has balanced inputs,but if you want a new one we're talking a
minimum of $450 or so.

The rest of the Delta line doesn't. In most cases you can easily figure this
out from the RCA connectors. In the case of the Delta 66 and 44 you actually
have to look under the covers. If you read the specs, the M-Audio specs
basically say that these two cards have input jacks that are TRS, and stop
at that point. The Echo Mia has similar construction.

AFAIK, the only solution to your quest for 4 balanced inputs for less than
$250 is composed of two Terratec Phase 22 cards with the clocks connected
together using Terratec's link cable.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 6:00:15 PM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:33:18 -0700, chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I meant true balanaced input. I want balanced inputs. It says in the box
>the delta has balanced input. I talked to the pro in Guitar Center and
>he says the Delta balanced inputs are fine. But people here are saying
>the delta does not have true balanced input. So is the balanced input
>provided by Delta good enough or I need to get a Terratec which is
>supposed to have a true balanced input.

You really don't need to worry about balanced line-level inputs.

Does your mixer offer balanced outputs, and you feel you'll be losing
quality by connecting them to unbalanced inputs? You won't.

July 25, 2004 11:28:04 PM

In article <TKqdnQLvoLxI_Z7cRVn-hw@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com writes:

> I meant true balanaced input. I want balanced inputs.

In that case, buy a couple of Jensen transformers and put them right
ahead of the sound card inputs. You'll have true balanced inputs.

> I talked to the pro in Guitar Center and
> he says the Delta balanced inputs are fine. But people here are saying
> the delta does not have true balanced input.

I really don't know. Send me one and I'll test it my way. But why is
this so important to you? Are you planning to run a couple of hundred
feet of cable to the inputs?

> So is the balanced input
> provided by Delta good enough or I need to get a Terratec which is
> supposed to have a true balanced input.

Good enough for what? The marketing department? Common mode rejection
in a problem location? There isn't anything inherently "pro" about
balanced inputs. There are many things that, in most cases, are more
important.

Sorry to be vague, but my intuition would be to trust the overall
performance reputation of the Delta over an unknown just because it's
"supposed" to have "true balanced" inputs.

July 26, 2004 3:52:10 PM

Sorry to bother you guys again. One last time. I bought the Delta-44 but
I can return it. Are they good enough for almost pro sound, assuming i
have pro software, pro software effects, am almost a pro in mixing and
mastering, and have almost pro pre-amp. Is the delta-44 good enough or
do i get rid of it.

If i get rid of them then any better cards under $350 with 4 balanced
inputs. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:20:05 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:52:10 -0700, chowdhury <sohan_al@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Sorry to bother you guys again. One last time. I bought the Delta-44 but
>I can return it. Are they good enough for almost pro sound, assuming i
>have pro software, pro software effects, am almost a pro in mixing and
>mastering, and have almost pro pre-amp. Is the delta-44 good enough or
>do i get rid of it.

Yes, it's good enough.

>If i get rid of them then any better cards under $350 with 4 balanced
>inputs. Thanks.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:57:40 AM

In article <i4-dna3Ud4_tzJjcRVn-gw@comcast.com> sohan_al@yahoo.com writes:

> Sorry to bother you guys again. One last time. I bought the Delta-44 but
> I can return it. Are they good enough for almost pro sound, assuming i
> have pro software, pro software effects, am almost a pro in mixing and
> mastering, and have almost pro pre-amp. Is the delta-44 good enough or
> do i get rid of it.

With all of those qualifications, just buy a Lynx TWO and be done with
it. Yes, it costs more than the Delta 44, but there's no point in
taking a chance that you might have a weaker link in your system.

Or just keep the damn Delta 44 and get started with your magnum opus.
I'm sure that nobody buy you will even know what you used to record
it.

July 27, 2004 5:57:50 AM

> You can get four balanced inputs and four balanced outputs and
> excellent A/D and D/A conversion from a Lynx TWO, but it costs quite a
> bit more than a Delta 1010 (or at least considerably more than the
> $250 quoted for a 1010, which is in question).

Yes but unfortunately the $250 quoted is for the 1010LT which is not
balanced, if that's what he really needs.

TonyP.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:57:51 AM

In article <41052a01$0$18669$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au> TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

> unfortunately the $250 quoted is for the 1010LT which is not
> balanced, if that's what he really needs.

I'm not convinced that he really needs balanced inputs as he hasn't
really described his setup, but it's what he wants. He's the one with
the money (or not enough, depending).

July 27, 2004 5:59:36 AM

> BTW, do you know who is Mr. EMu?

Yes, he's a song by John Williamson called "Old Man Emu" :-)

TonyP.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:09:25 PM

> In article <41052a01$0$18669$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
> TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

>> unfortunately the $250 quoted is for the 1010LT which is not
>> balanced, if that's what he really needs.

> I'm not convinced that he really needs balanced inputs as he hasn't
> really described his setup, but it's what he wants. He's the one with
> the money (or not enough, depending).

Agreed.

In practice it often seems OK to use equipment with balanced inputs like a
console or a mic preamp, to isolate equipment with unbalanced inputs like an
audio interface, from the slings and arrows of the world.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:31:15 PM

> I'm not convinced that he really needs balanced inputs as he hasn't
> really described his setup, but it's what he wants.

Me neither, but he always mentions it, so I guess HE thinks so.

TonyP.
!