Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Another OEM Question

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2010 4:12:15 AM

Did a search but I just wanted to be clear that I understand things correctly if I build a computer with Windows 7 OEM version.

1. I can reinstall the OEM version on the same computer an unlimited number of times?

2. You can reinstall OEM without hassle if the MOBO is not upgraded.

3. And if you do upgrade the MOBO it supposed to be a replacement and you'll need to phone Microsoft?

More about : oem question

February 8, 2010 6:00:57 AM

legally you can only reinstall an OEM version on the same pc (you can't change anything, not the mobo, not an hdd, not a gpu...)

you will need to call microsoft after 2-3 times to say that you just reinstalled your windows (on the exact same pc).

(but microsoft can't check if you changed anything ofcourse)
February 15, 2010 4:18:34 PM

What are some valid TOS reasons for reinstalling (understanding that microsoft can't check your changes ofcourse)?
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 15, 2010 4:22:42 PM

The 2 that pretty much cover everything are:

1. Hardware failure (so long as you replace with the same part(s)
2. Crashed/Corrupted OS install
February 16, 2010 6:18:29 AM

The_Prophecy said:
The 2 that pretty much cover everything are:

1. Hardware failure (so long as you replace with the same part(s)
2. Crashed/Corrupted OS install

So there's no flat out limit thought of how many times you can reinstall then right?

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 16, 2010 6:45:12 AM

letsrahk said:
So there's no flat out limit thought of how many times you can reinstall then right?

Reinstall: No
Reactivate: No
Reactivate online: Yes

Once you hit the online activation limit, you will need to call (toll free) Microsoft's product activation line (phone number given if necessary). Activating by phone takes about 5-6 minutes, and you usually don't have to talk with a person either. The automated system actually does a nice job of getting you activated and on your way.

You can reinstall and reactivate as many times as you need to, so long as you are installing the OEM copy on the same computer you originally installed it on.
February 16, 2010 6:59:51 AM

Best answer selected by letsrahk.
!