Tascam US-122 Setup Question

Last response: in Home Audio
July 19, 2004 7:49:08 PM

Okay, I'm a total newb when it comes to integrating sound and
recording on a computer, so forgive me ahead of time for any mistakes
I'm about to make.

I just purchased a Tascam US-122. I'm looking to eventually be able to
record complete pieces with it, but am right now just trying to
understand full operation of the unit with the Cubasis software it has
come with. I should have normal Cubase soon.

Basically, I have a guitar running into the unit, headphones in the
headphones line and only connected to the system via USB. These are
the only input/outputs for the actual system I have. I haven't had any
problems recording audio at all, however, this is my question:

I can not monitor while actually recording (via the headphones). I'm
told that this is due to Cubasis not having the feature available.
When I DO record something and play it back, I can only hear it in the
headphones that are plugged in rather than the actual computer
speakers. Do I need to set my speakers up different to hear it there?
Do I need to get a monitor? Any help with this topic would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 12:50:26 PM

kellykalil@gmail.com (Killy) wrote in message news:<fc988eeb.0407191449.a5c4c2c@posting.google.com>...
> Okay, I'm a total newb when it comes to integrating sound and
> recording on a computer, so forgive me ahead of time for any mistakes
> I'm about to make.
>
> I just purchased a Tascam US-122. I'm looking to eventually be able to
> record complete pieces with it, but am right now just trying to
> understand full operation of the unit with the Cubasis software it has
> come with. I should have normal Cubase soon.
>
> Basically, I have a guitar running into the unit, headphones in the
> headphones line and only connected to the system via USB. These are
> the only input/outputs for the actual system I have. I haven't had any
> problems recording audio at all, however, this is my question:
>
> I can not monitor while actually recording (via the headphones). I'm
> told that this is due to Cubasis not having the feature available.
> When I DO record something and play it back, I can only hear it in the
> headphones that are plugged in rather than the actual computer
> speakers. Do I need to set my speakers up different to hear it there?
> Do I need to get a monitor? Any help with this topic would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Update: I have searched this forum and most of the problems I see are
related to music stuttering when recording. Luckily, I haven't ran
into that problem yet. I did notice that someone mentioned that there
is no audio output transfer via the US-122 by itself and you have to
find a way to hook up speakers/monitor to the headphone out. Is that
really the case?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 9:40:20 PM

In a related question, a friend of mine is trying to run a US-122 with
Garage Band on a G4/OSX. He has to reinstall the US122 everytime he boots
up. I have heard of others having similar problems with their US122.

Any obvious reasons? Or is this likely to be a complicated problem with
a software conflict?

Rob R.
July 20, 2004 9:40:21 PM

Rob Reedijk <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> writes:

> In a related question, a friend of mine is trying to run a US-122 with
> Garage Band on a G4/OSX. He has to reinstall the US122 everytime he boots
> up. I have heard of others having similar problems with their US122.
>
> Any obvious reasons? Or is this likely to be a complicated problem with
> a software conflict?

I recently bought a US122, so far I've used it with my iBook, which is
running Panther (OS X 10.3.4). No such problem was experienced, I had to
install the drivers only once.

So far, I've used it with Audacity, and it works great.

-jav
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:49:14 PM

In article <fc988eeb.0407200750.2a8a1711@posting.google.com> kellykalil@gmail.com writes:

> I did notice that someone mentioned that there
> is no audio output transfer via the US-122 by itself and you have to
> find a way to hook up speakers/monitor to the headphone out. Is that
> really the case?

It doesn't have a speaker on it, no. You connect headphones to the
headphone output or monitors to the main output.