Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[SOLVED] Everything on pc opens with video player. HELP!

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 17, 2012 3:56:16 PM

folks i'm very desperate! my father somehow made by mistake that every extension on his laptop opens with KM Player (video player), i have no idea how to get it back to its default state, i have no backup, he cant use anything on his pc because it opens with this video player. he leaves in few days and i dont know if i must reinstall windows 7 or theres any solution for this.
i looked over the internet but didnt found any concrete solution.
:??: 
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 4:05:41 PM

right click on the file
properties
open with
April 17, 2012 4:07:39 PM

costinsilviu said:
folks i'm very desperate! my father somehow made by mistake that every extension on his laptop opens with KM Player (video player), i have no idea how to get it back to its default state, i have no backup, he cant use anything on his pc because it opens with this video player. he leaves in few days and i dont know if i must reinstall windows 7 or theres any solution for this.
i looked over the internet but didnt found any concrete solution.
:??: 


Mate, go to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

I hope that it will help you
Related resources
April 17, 2012 4:14:35 PM

alvine said:
right click on the file
properties
open with


the problem isnt that.
Example: i install..lets say adobe photosop. its executable is Photoshop.exe, but by mistake i choose to open this executable with notepad, and from now on it opens always with notepad and i cant access Photoshop anymore. Thats what happened with the whole system, my father doesnt know much about pc and i have no idea how he did this. And its not a virus.
April 17, 2012 4:45:29 PM

guderiancol said:
Mate, go to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

I hope that it will help you

Nah man. didnt work. thanks anyway i appreciate it.
those solution dont fulfill what i need. i mean everything on pc opens under same programs, everything..games, softwares etc. i cannot do "open with" for a game 4 example.
April 17, 2012 4:47:33 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you know the date this first occured, you can try running system restore and restore it to a date prior to when this happened. Of course this is assuming system restore still works.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/fe...

hawkee i dont think it is on but i tryed system restore and it opens with KM Player XD its ridiculous how microsoft didnt tought at this wtf. thx for partecipation
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 4:48:40 PM

lol i gave you the answer. I guarantee it's the file association. ;) 
April 17, 2012 4:57:59 PM

unoriginal1 said:
lol i gave you the answer. I guarantee it's the file association. ;) 

i didnt noticed , i will try and come back later now i have to go. thank you for your help
April 17, 2012 5:38:36 PM

unoriginal1 said:
My opinion is it's the lnk file association. Had this happen to a computer at work and it's surprisingly easy to change :(  and less easy to fix. Check out this link http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/116819-al...


DID WORK!!!! i downloaded the exe.reg>right click>merge>yes yes ok yes...restarted and everything went back normal.
You saved me from alot of work pal. :bounce:  THANK YOU :pt1cable: 
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 5:42:00 PM

simplist way to fix the files


right-click open with

select default program then choose it
April 17, 2012 5:46:24 PM

Unoriginal1 had the solution. Worked perfectly. This thread may be locked. Thank you all for your help!
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 5:53:22 PM

costinsilviu said:
DID WORK!!!! i downloaded the exe.reg>right click>merge>yes yes ok yes...restarted and everything went back normal.
You saved me from alot of work pal. :bounce:  THANK YOU :pt1cable: 


Your very welcome. lol like I said before this was the most annoying problem at work and it's SOOO simple to change. No idea what microsoft was thinking here :s. Glad to help :) .
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 6:08:50 PM

Other:
I use Acronis True Image to make periodic IMAGES of my C-Drive to a second hard drive in case of drive failure, viruses or software problems like this.

There's a FREE version if you have WD or Seagate drive (from their respective sites). Works with USB drive too (must have a drive to work).

Choose the 2nd highest compression. I recommend backing up once per month. I ALSO use Synchbackse FREE version to make DAILY updates of my "Documents" folder. It copies any folder you choose and you can set it to add ONLY new or changed files.
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 8:31:46 PM

shanky887614 said:
simplist way to fix the files


right-click open with

select default program then choose it



That actually would not work. He managed to change the lnk registry file. So that needed to be repaired in order to fix the issue ;) .
April 17, 2012 11:02:44 PM

photonboy said:
Other:
I use Acronis True Image to make periodic IMAGES of my C-Drive to a second hard drive in case of drive failure, viruses or software problems like this.

There's a FREE version if you have WD or Seagate drive (from their respective sites). Works with USB drive too (must have a drive to work).

Choose the 2nd highest compression. I recommend backing up once per month. I ALSO use Synchbackse FREE version to make DAILY updates of my "Documents" folder. It copies any folder you choose and you can set it to add ONLY new or changed files.

Yes i knew about that software , i had an older pc , i was getting so many BSOD's that i cant remember how many times i reinstalled windows because it was getting very unstable, and i used to use that program. but now that i have a new laptop i dont worry that much...
!