Pc will not connect to workgroup

maustin26

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Environment: Network is peer-to-peer using workgroup, server is Windows Server 2008, 2 laptops with Windows 7- 32 bit and both connect to server, one laptop with XP Pro cannot connect. All set under DHCP with printers ip hard coded and PC's range set at .101 to .150.

We can ping the XP laptop from the server and ping the server from the laptop however the laptop will not connect. Server show up in the network tree in the XP laptop. Message says could not find server, may not have privileges but both server and laptop are administrator. We use a VPN as router and for accessing from the field. XP laptop used to connect to server. Have no idea what happened or how to now connect back to server.

Tried: Disable DHCP, reboot, enable. Disable workgroup, reboot, change workgroup name, reboot, change back to workgroup name, reboot. Delete protocols, reboot, reinstall protocols. Disable DHCP Enforcement Client, reboot, re-enable. None of this worked. We get the same message about privileges. I am open to just about any idea you might have.

Solution
In a Windows p2p environment, the only reliable means to share resources if for every computer in the workgroup to have a common account w/ the same username/password and specify it when asked for credentials. Of course, if you're actually using that account at the time, the authorization will be implicit. The fact all the computers are using administrator accounts isn't enough because it’s not a domain. If it was a domain, then all the administrators could be treated as members of a common authorized group. But as p2p users, every computer’s administrator is essentially an island, ***unless*** they happen to use the same username/password. In that case, Windows assumes they are the same user and grants access.

Once you make sure...
In a Windows p2p environment, the only reliable means to share resources if for every computer in the workgroup to have a common account w/ the same username/password and specify it when asked for credentials. Of course, if you're actually using that account at the time, the authorization will be implicit. The fact all the computers are using administrator accounts isn't enough because it’s not a domain. If it was a domain, then all the administrators could be treated as members of a common authorized group. But as p2p users, every computer’s administrator is essentially an island, ***unless*** they happen to use the same username/password. In that case, Windows assumes they are the same user and grants access.

Once you make sure you have a common account w/ the same username/password across all your computers, a lot of these problems will just fizzle away.

Also, beware that HomeGroups are only Windows 7 compatible. Stick w/ common file/printer sharing whenever mixing Windows 7 and prior versions.

Solution

maustin26

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Thanks for the help. A lot of issues did go away with the Windows 7 machines and xp still had trouble connecting to the server. It is an extension office and I am going back next week. I am thinking there might be a firewall still interfering. We will see. XP platforms I am pretty good at, Windows 7 is ok, not great, but Server 2008 is just plain shaky at best. Now Windows 8 is here. New versions are coming out faster than I can learn them. I am venting of course. Thank you again. Mel

TRENDING THREADS