Lite-On is the ONLY WAY TO GO!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I just found this out: <A HREF="http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4169" target="_new">Link</A>

Now, I can burn at 48X!! This is too SWEET!!! Lite-On owns j00!! :wink:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not too shabby.

im suprised that it only has 2mb cache though... that would last... ooo... 1/5th of a second burning at the full 48x. hehe

think ill keep my 12x20x32x ricoh thanx. unless u want to buy me a liteon

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
im suprised that it only has 2mb cache though... that would last... ooo... 1/5th of a second burning at the full 48x. hehe
Hmm, who cares? Lite-On already has one of the most advanced buffer underrun technologies available! SMART-Burn and SMART-X are absolutely amazing. There is no need for a large cache anymore! The Lite-On scans the disc's surface before burning (it only takes a couple of seconds once I insert the CD. It checks its reflective properties and decides the fastest speed the CD can handle. This alone significantly reduces the chance of a buffer underrun. Of course it has the conventional buffer underrun protection too.

I've yet to see it being used. SMART-BURN/SMART-X work the way they're supposed to!!! :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The LITE-ON 48X/12X/48X drive should be in stores by now for under $100US/$200AU/$150CDN.

It's the FASTEST burner available by a long shot and perhaps, the most reliable. There's absolutely no reason to get a slower Plextor, IMO.

I've yet to see Plextor or any other manufacturer develop a technology similar to SMART-X.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yeah and even better using that utility you can buy a 32x lite-on from newegg for example and flash it up to the 48 x all for 60.00 USD !!!

<font color=blue><b> Common Sense is anything but ... Common !</font color=blue></b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
/me kicks the crappy Lite-On drive in the computer next to him.

EDIT:
We also wrote an Acer (Only 12X certified!) disc at 48X and it was also 100% readable!!!

:eek:

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 06/26/02 10:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FutureProof

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Do you know that SMART-X has nothing to do with anticoaster technology, hm?

The liteon does not scan the disc's surface as you imply; it does have running OPC though. All CD-RW drives read the ATIP and compare the information with that found in the Media Catalogue of the drive's chipset. A drive also performs calibration in the Program Memory Area (like all drives do), up to 99 times (multisession allows this, of course). Only writing speed, ultimately, affects whether you need anti-coaster technology or not. OPC decides whether the media can work at max or not

<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/index.php?s=" target="_new">FutureProof</A>

Hell Hath No Fury Like ASPI Scorned

FutureProof

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
>It's the FASTEST burner available by a long shot and
>perhaps, the most reliable

The ASUS CRW-4012A can read and write faster than the 48x Litey. I can point you to some test results if you're interested. ASUS's do not require a dedicated or partnered reader of any sort. They have fewer FW updates than say Liteon, because their running OPC is far better then Liteon's and the chipset media catalogue is superb. The algorithm used in the PMA by the OPC is, mathematically, far superior to Liteon's

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Do you know that SMART-X has nothing to do with anticoaster technology, hm?

The liteon does not scan the disc's surface as you imply; it does have running OPC though. All CD-RW drives read the ATIP and compare the information with that found in the Media Catalogue of the drive's chipset. A drive also performs calibration in the Program Memory Area (like all drives do), up to 99 times (multisession allows this, of course). Only writing speed, ultimately, affects whether you need anti-coaster technology or not. OPC decides whether the media can work at max or not

Which has everything to do with whether you get a coaster or not! Buffer underruns aren't the only ways to get coasters, you know. If the CD's dye can't handle the high-speed of the drive, then you will get damaged sectors.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The ASUS CRW-4012A can read and write faster than the 48x Litey. I can point you to some test results if you're interested. ASUS's do not require a dedicated or partnered reader of any sort. They have fewer FW updates than say Liteon, because their running OPC is far better then Liteon's and the chipset media catalogue is superb. The algorithm used in the PMA by the OPC is, mathematically, far superior to Liteon's
The Asus CANNOT be faster than the Lite-ON because I get average 40X burns at 48X. Are you saying that the 40X Asus is MORE than 100% efficient? I'd really be interested in a review.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Asus CANNOT be faster than the Lite-ON because I get average 40X burns at 48X. Are you saying that the 40X Asus is MORE than 100% efficient? I'd really be interested in a review.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I get average 40X burns
A freebie upgrade to 48X is cool but I doubt you get 40X average, maybe 36-37X but not 40X. Still pretty amazing.

Don't mind me, sour grapes. I missed out buying a 40X Liteon by just a couple weeks. Bought a Cyberdrive 36X before the 40X Liteon dropped to around the same price.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
A freebie upgrade to 48X is cool but I doubt you get 40X average, maybe 36-37X but not 40X. Still pretty amazing.
Actually, I get 35-36X average at 40X, and 38-40X at 48X. It really depends on the quality of the CD and how many apps I have open. The newer firmwares now use P-CAV rather than Z-CLV.

Slasher

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Got to agree out of 4 previous burners (sony plex ricoh yam)
that i have owned and used the litey is the BEST!! and thats just the 24x10.....

Money talks, so they say, but mine only says
"Goodbye"

FutureProof

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
>The Asus CANNOT be faster than the Lite-ON because I get
>average 40X burns at 48X

You must be very confident about this to post twice ;) Have you done the math? At what point does the 48x Litey write at 48x...I think you'll find that an average of 40x is impossible, even on a 99' disc. The total time taken for a Mode 1 image of, say, 79:59:00 still depends on the OPC and the media used. As I said before, and you fell into the trap without checking, the algorithm used and the media catalogue used by ASUS is far superior to Liteon. How about this, it's easy: write a 79' Yellow Book Mode 1 image in Nero to an 80' disc or a Max Payne image or a Desperados image. I have links to all three of my tests, just pick one and I'll beat you :D

Don't get me wrong, I love Liteon. I have a 24102B, 32123S and a 48125W, but the ASUS is a better writer as well as an unsurpassed reader

Slasher

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
Do you find the asus getting around sd2 as well as the litey?
Serious Q.

Money talks, so they say, but mine only says
"Goodbye"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You must be very confident about this to post twice ;) Have you done the math? At what point does the 48x Litey write at 48x...I think you'll find that an average of 40x is impossible, even on a 99' disc.
It reaches 48X at 70min, but it gets over 40X at just after 30min.

However, I haven't looked into the Asus CD-RW reviews so I truly can't say which is better for sure. Also, excuse my double-post, it happens to me often. You've obviously done more research than me, so I'll take your word for it.

Ymaster

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
I've killed a great many disks with Smart-(anything goes here)and the Pacific Digitals at work. The better burners I've used all have Burn-Prof. If your looking for a burner that can burn what the plextors could not in Toms article then try the QPS Que 40x12x48x.. Should be on sale at Compusa.com for 99$ This kills any light-on I've ever tried. Also the QPS burner should come with Nero5. =)
Only thing bad about QPS is that getting your rebate may take a little longer than many people would like. Then again I'd never buy any item with the plans of making the rebate the buying point.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I posted ages ago (you can search the threads as proof) how good Lite-on was way before everyone jumped on the band wagon and the LTR-24102B is the best model to own still because it can recognize and copy more copy protected disc's than any other Lite-on model even the newer ones. Dont ask my why. I dont know. LOL Tom just did a review a year late on my model.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so whats beyond 48x12x48x???

i cant see rewritable speeds increasing much, if at all, given its only gone from 10 to 12x.
will we get 52x or 56x burners maybe?

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: