Sign in with
Your question

Adding 1 TB internal HD with 2 others

Last response: in Windows 7
April 17, 2012 6:28:48 PM

I am adding a drive and would like some opinions.

3.07 gigahertz Intel Core i7 950
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T DELUXE V2
12280 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
C: drive- WDC WD3000HLFS-01G6U1 ATA Device [Hard drive] (300.07 GB)
E: drive- WDC WD1500HLFS-01G6U1 [Hard drive] (150.04 GB)
2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 [Display adapter] in SLI
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1

adding Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive
Model ST1000DM003SATA- 6Gb/s- 1TB- 7200rpm- bare drive

Gaming use (BF3) mainly with media/MS Office stuff secondary.

Please answer 1 or more questions-
1) Do you think it would be best to use this new drive as C: or main drive? Or to use it as storage and keep C: as is?
2) If used as main drive, are there issues installing Win7 on it and already having a Win7 install on another hard drive?
3) suggested improvements for video card upgrade.

Thanks very much,
Sterling

More about : adding internal

a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 7:20:01 PM

Best option would be to leave it as is and add the new drive as Storage -- Figure the 2 older Velociraptor drives are a slight bit faster than the new 1TB drive so will make a better boot\system drive - plus since windows is already installed and running on it avoids the hassle of reinstalling\moving the OS and program files onto the new HDD.

Once you install and format the new drive you might want to spend some time moving some files from seldom used programs\etc. over from the old drive to free up more space on the system drive but no need to move the OS install.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2012 7:26:30 PM

^ +1

i really don't know if the 150 gig HD is worth the space in your box . .unless you need a scratch disk for graphics/video creation.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 1:16:14 AM

JDFan said:
Best option would be to leave it as is and add the new drive as Storage -- Figure the 2 older Velociraptor drives are a slight bit faster than the new 1TB drive so will make a better boot\system drive - plus since windows is already installed and running on it avoids the hassle of reinstalling\moving the OS and program files onto the new HDD.

Once you install and format the new drive you might want to spend some time moving some files from seldom used programs\etc. over from the old drive to free up more space on the system drive but no need to move the OS install.

thanks very much for responding.
was thinking of a fresh install of win7 anyway on existing 300 drive. wouldn't hurt my feelings to do a fresh install on the 1TB. is the speed difference enough to NOT use the 1 TB as the main drive? or is it just a matter of a few-to-ten-or-twenty seconds in start-up time ( I think I read that on these forums) I'll have to deal with? do you think the speed difference would be noticable in-game, I mean I've heard a bigger hard-drive is better?
sorry to ask all these questions but have heard conflicting things, hence this post.
I get all your points from your reply- especially cleaning up the main drive once settled. but again the question- this brand new 1 TB with fresh install and nothing else at it's speed, or use the existing 300 as my main.
thanks for your opinion.
m
l
April 18, 2012 1:19:25 AM

Anonymous said:
^ +1

i really don't know if the 150 gig HD is worth the space in your box . .unless you need a scratch disk for graphics/video creation.

this 150 is leftover from a failed raid. saved this 1/2 for storage when I got the 300.
you are right though. it is wasted space once the 1 TB drive goes in.
thanks for responding
m
l
!