USB 1 and 2.0 Ports

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Are USB ports all wired the same?

let me explain :)

If my case has USB ports on the front will these ports act as USB 2.0 ports if i plug them into USB 2.0 headers? (the case predates USB2.0) or will the actually ports be limited to USB 1??

cheers!

<font color=red>isit alan?</font color=red>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I have a debate too about USB :smile:

Have a leftover ASUS 2-port USB connector set, the one you can install in the back of the case and got a cable to plug it into the motherboard's header.

But my motherboard is an ABIT TH7-II, also got a header for add-on USP port.
The two companies mark their wires different in the manuals, so now I'm a little stuck. I think the ABIT header only support one USB port.

Asus Header:

USB Power @ @ USB Power
USBP3- @ @ USBP2-
USBP3+ @ @ USBP2+
Ground @ @ Ground
NC @ @ NC

ABIT Header:

VCC @ @ VCC
NC @ @ Data
NC @ @ Data+
Ground @ @ Ground
NC @ @ NC

What it looks like to me is that the ABIT header gives only one aditional USB port while the ASUS setup gives 2. But there is some add-on USB cards by ASUS which use the same header on the motherboard and have 3 ports, which makes me wonder if the ABIT setup can handle two or not.

Somehow I just don't feel like plugging it in and see, but so far it looks okay. Let me know what you guys think, I think the most could happen is that 1 out of the two USB ports on the card might not work. If anyone got the extra USB port option with the motherboard please let me know if it's more than one port on the card and if your manual still show the same header setup.

Thanks

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>