DUAL WIRELESS SYSTEM IN 2 BUILDINGS

MARK THIELL

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
I HAVE A CABLE MODEM AND A NETGEAR N600 IN ONE BUILDING AND ANOTHER BUILDING JOINED BY A NETWORK CABLE..HOW CAN I MAKE THE 2nd BUILDING WIRELESS FROM THE NETWORK CABLE.
MARK./...

MARK THIELL

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I WAS TOLD THAT I CAN USE A SECOND NETGEAR N600 TO THE SECOND BUILDING BUT IF THIS IS TRUE, DO I JUST PLUG IT IN OR DO I HAVE TO CHANGE THE OPERATION OF THE SECOND NETGEAR UNIT..
NETGEAR ( HELP LINE IS IN ANOTHER COUNTRY ) WAS NOT HELPFULL AT ALL, THEY SUGGESTED A SIGNAL BOOSTER BUT I COULD NOT GET THEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS TOO MUCH DISTANCE OR METAL BETWEEN THE TWO BUILDINGS..
MARK

You can use a second wireless router for these purposes, but you have to make a few changes.

1. Give the second router a static IP in the same network as the primary router, one that's obviously not in use elsewhere or part of the primary router's DHCP pool (so, if the primary router is 192.168.1.1, perhaps make the second router 192.168.1.2).

2. Disable the DHCP server on the second router (so it doesn't conflict w/ the primary router's DHCP server).

3. Connect the ethernet cable to the second router over a LAN port. Never use the WAN port of the second router since it’s no longer used for routing, it’s now just a wireless switch.