A/D D/A converter for mastering

Last response: in Home Audio
July 20, 2004 1:26:45 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.

I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
configuaration.

What AD DA would you suggest?

Thx

More about : converter mastering

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:50:36 PM

Zaanlo <zaanlo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
>to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
>missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
>configuaration.
>
>What AD DA would you suggest?

I would definitely suggest listening to the Prism and Lavry boxes.

The older Manley units using the Ultra Analog modules are actually sleepers
in my opinion, and deserve more press than they got.

I also sort of like the older Krell D/A units using the PCM 63 chips.
--scott
July 21, 2004 2:37:13 AM

Hello,

Benchmark DAC1.

www.benchmarkmedia.com

Cheers

"Zaanlo" <zaanlo@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
>
> I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> configuaration.
>
> What AD DA would you suggest?
>
> Thx
July 21, 2004 10:21:15 AM

Thnx for the answers. If there is still other outboard that come to
mind, please let me know.

Going to have a look (and a listen) at the suggested.

and

- yeap I know for the comps ;-), planing to get a crane song or a
manley ( any other suggestion and opinion?),
- yes I did my homework and weiss (although I would love that) is too
$ for me at the time being. (as the prism)

thnx again,
hear you soon...

Zaanlo
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:30:02 PM

Zaanlo <zaanlo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>- yeap I know for the comps ;-), planing to get a crane song or a
>manley ( any other suggestion and opinion?),
>- yes I did my homework and weiss (although I would love that) is too
>$ for me at the time being. (as the prism)

Call them. Prism has some of their older models available used, and
sometimes the newer stuff. Their used prices are pretty good, and much
more affordable than brand new stuff. I would not be surprised if Weiss
does this as well.

Now that there is this huge push toward 96 ksamp/sec operation, there are
a lot of older converters that sound good but can only work at 44.1/48
available for reasonable money.

Another one to look at is the EMM/Meitner, although you might find it's
more money than the Prism and Weiss stuff. I don't think there are enough
older ones out there to find one used but you might get lucky.

There are a lot of high grade D/A converters out there from guys like
Wadia and Krell, that were basically intended for high end home stereo
applications. These sell very reasonably on the used market, and aside
from only having unbalanced outputs, there's no reason not to use them in
a high grade professional application.

Sheldon Stokes also has an excellent homebrew tube D/A that can be built
for under $1200 in parts, on http://www.quadesl.com. Unbalanced cathode
follower out.

Unfortunately there is no such market for A/D units.
--scott
July 27, 2004 5:37:18 AM

Hi every one, thanks again for all the inputs.

The D/A would be to go thru my analogue processing comp and eq. Is the
krell good enough or is it better to use it as a hight end converter
for my monitoring? Is there any place for a apogee mini-dac, benchmark
DAC-1 or the same kind or they would be the weak link in my audio
chain?

Hear you soon

Zaanlo
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:44:35 PM

I use the Mytek 8X96 AD/DA for recording/tracking and post analog
mixing and am quite happy with the quality, certainly much better than
the Apogee Rosetta I had before. Mytek seems to have a 2 channel
24/192K A/D out. Check their web site.

Eric Chang

zaanlo@hotmail.com (Zaanlo) wrote in message news:<8a4e876e.0407200826.124fac8@posting.google.com>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
>
> I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> configuaration.
>
> What AD DA would you suggest?
>
> Thx
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:10:33 AM

Hello,

The Benchmark DAC1 is one of the very best DAC's at any price, in my opinion
better than any Krell or others high-end devices, will be bettered by
Myteks, Prism, Lavry, but I don't believe it, and the DAC1 is cheaper.

You can read here a DAC1's critic from the king of the "high end" magazines

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/886/ind...

In other hand the ADC/DAC devices have improved much today, do not expect
big differences between ADC/DCA (in a blind test, of course) ;-)

Regards

> Hi every one, thanks again for all the inputs.
>
> The D/A would be to go thru my analogue processing comp and eq. Is the
> krell good enough or is it better to use it as a hight end converter
> for my monitoring? Is there any place for a apogee mini-dac, benchmark
> DAC-1 or the same kind or they would be the weak link in my audio
> chain?
>
> Hear you soon
>
> Zaanlo
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:32:43 AM

Lavry or Weiss

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

zaanlo@hotmail.com (Zaanlo) wrote in message news:<8a4e876e.0407200826.124fac8@posting.google.com>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
>
> I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> configuaration.
>
> What AD DA would you suggest?
>
> Thx
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:32:57 AM

Lavry or Weiss

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

zaanlo@hotmail.com (Zaanlo) wrote in message news:<8a4e876e.0407200826.124fac8@posting.google.com>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
>
> I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> configuaration.
>
> What AD DA would you suggest?
>
> Thx
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:33:43 AM

Lavry or Weiss

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

zaanlo@hotmail.com (Zaanlo) wrote in message news:<8a4e876e.0407200826.124fac8@posting.google.com>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
>
> I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> configuaration.
>
> What AD DA would you suggest?
>
> Thx
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:21:40 PM

Nathan, are you having a hard time making up your mind?

"Nathan Eldred" <atlasproaudio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lavry or Weiss
>
> Nathan Eldred
> http://www.atlasproaudio.com
>

> zaanlo@hotmail.com (Zaanlo) wrote in message
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> > reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> > cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
> >
> > I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> > to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> > missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> > configuaration.
> >
> > What AD DA would you suggest?
> >
> > Thx
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 8:07:51 AM

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/ProProducts.htm

"Nathan Eldred" <atlasproaudio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lavry or Weiss
>
> Nathan Eldred
> http://www.atlasproaudio.com
>

> zaanlo@hotmail.com (Zaanlo) wrote in message
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm new to this group but found it really informative. I have been
> > reading and reading lots of posts concerning converters but I still
> > cant make up my mind and need your suggestion (opinion) on this one.
> >
> > I am setting up a smal mastering room and for the analogue part I want
> > to go thru my tubetech LCA2B and my Millenia NSEQ. The one piece
> > missing is the converter as to keep the best quality with this
> > configuaration.
> >
> > What AD DA would you suggest?
> >
> > Thx
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 1:33:21 PM

Anyone have any details and/or views of this speaker?

The number (13000B) is not listed on KRK's website list of discontinued
models, but googling around I can find some studios which list it, but not
with any pics or specs.

Thanks

Ian
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 2:09:44 AM

"Zaanlo" <zaanlo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The D/A would be to go thru my analogue processing comp and eq. Is the
> krell good enough or is it better to use it as a hight end converter
> for my monitoring?

The monitoring D/A is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than one being used for signal
processing. It, along with the monitor system, determines how you'll set the
knobs. How you set the knobs and what you patch in and out of the signal
path makes a bigger difference than all the rest of the gear you'll use
combined.

-
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com