Networking windows xp with windows 98?

PaulO

From OS side, yes. You need to have the hardware to
connect them however.

Typically, you should have networking cards on each
computer (recent computers come with ethernet cards, but
adapters can be added to older ones) and a router or
switch.

However, if you have only two computers, you may be able
able to connect them with a single cable (even through a
parallel or serial port) -- this is a bit trickier, but
may be enough and cheaper if only you want is to transfer
files through both computers.

I would go with the first approach (router), since it
allows to expand the network in the future (adding more
computers), permit sharing Internet more easily
(especially broadband), most routers have a built-in
firewall (so don't have to install one on every
computer), and some support wireless networking :)