Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual Boot Win 7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2010 7:41:57 AM

I have a laptop and a desktop. And a few programmes I want to run, but they are not Win 7 compatable.

I am running 64 bit Home edition

What I was thinking of doing with the desktop.....it has two drives.

Load up WIn98 or Vista (programmes run in Vista) 32 bit on to the 2nd smaller drive and load Win7 64 bit on to the 1st larger drive (main c: drive)

I have NEVER had a dual boot system so will it work having a 32bit and a 64 bit os????

And I assume I will be able to change at boot up to whichever OS I want to use, so when I need to use the old programmes (which are not upgradeable) I can

LAPTOP: Is loaded running WIn 7 great, but again can't use these coouple of programmes. I don't want to pay to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or whatever for a couple of hundred $$$

So can i partition it in to two drives and run Win7 64bit Home on one partition with Win98 or Vista 32 bit on another smaller partition.

Laptop HDD is 450gb.

ANy help.....THANK YOU

Tracey

More about : dual boot win

February 8, 2010 8:11:58 AM

Could you be a little more specific on what programms you are running? If they ran on vista, they *should* run on windows 7 as well as the core architechture is pretty similar, the 32bit/64bit aspect shouldnt make any difference as 64bit versions of 7 will run 32bit applications fine in theory.

What specific errors/problems are you getting? You enter the compatibilty wizard for any program and set the compatibility to a previous version of windows to solve some compatibility problems.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 8:29:23 AM

Try right clicking on the shortcut to the program in question and selecting 'Properties' at the bottom.
Go the the 'Compatiability' tab, check the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' box and select Vista in the box below.
Try your program now.
If this does not work, try running it in compatibility mode for the other listed OS'.
If it was working in Vista, it should work in Win 7.

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 9:33:54 PM

Another possibility, if compatibility mode does not work, is to run the application inside a virtual pc. its a lot more convenient and easier than dual booting.
m
l
February 9, 2010 5:48:41 AM

Like others said if it runs in Vista it should run on 7 makes no sense for it not to. Unless it's one of those rare programs that simply don't like 64bit.

But to answer your question yes you can install an OS on 1 hard drive and an 0S on another without to much problems it's really pretty easy atleast always has been for me. You can install both OS's on 1 HD albiet a bit more tricker, but still realitivy simple.

Although if I was gonna have two different OS they wouldn't be so close as to what win 7 and Vista are. There would have to be much more of a reason. Say Win7 and a type of linux that type of deal.
m
l
February 9, 2010 8:54:56 AM

One programme - THE most important one (the others I could possibly live without) is PCD Win 2.1 which is the software for my sewing machine (bet you didn't see that coming)

Have compatability ticked. Run as administrator.

Error Msg
Setup.exe
The version of this programmes is not compatible with this version of Windows etc etc. Contact sw dist.

They no longer support this programme so no chance of them releasing anything to help.

Thanks

Tracey

(Was also thinking of maybe reinstalling Win7 32 bit and seeing if that made any difference. PCD last version was released i think to coincide with Win95....to buy the current sw is around $800 and I still need PCD to send the designs to the sew machine)
m
l
February 9, 2010 6:59:52 PM

another option may be to use the anytime upgrade to a version of windows that supports the windows XP virtual machine, although theres no way of testing if this will work without laying down the cash - unless you have a friend with windows7 professional or ultimate.
m
l

Best solution

May 3, 2010 3:19:53 PM

Hello Tracey59,

For the actual Windows 7 and XP -Yes you can "multiboot" to Windows XP and Windows 7. *(After installing Windows 7, default Windows 7 is selected and that will be the primary choice for booting to Windows 7).
See the following detailed instructions on the Microsoft website:
http://tinyurl.com/ycqbde4
Essentially, these are the important steps to pay attention to:
"On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.
On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition or disk where you want to install the new Windows operating system.
Be sure to install Windows on a different partition from the one where the earlier version of Windows is installed.
Click Next to begin the installation. You might see a compatibility report."

Additional information about Multiboot from the Microsoft website:
Can I have more than one operating system on my computer (multiboot)?
http://tinyurl.com/yccnt22

Let me know if this helps!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

June 5, 2010 4:18:11 AM

Thanks
BTW these programs didn't like Vista EITHER. They like Win98 so have always had the Win98 on ONE computer
THat no longer works as my new laptop has Win 7

Loaded as per instructions....worked fine but NO dual boot.

So thougth I would address that later. THEN I kept getting NOTHING but the cursor..put in DVD to reload WIn 7 and it seemed to load fine so long as the DVD was in.....now I KNOW this isn't logical, but then I GOT NOTHING on the screen. Removed graphics card, put screen back on mb onboard graphics...everything worked fine again (no DVD in drive) still no dual boot.

Replaced graphics card all wroking fine except still no dual boot. EVEN if I use boot menu and choose the HD with Win98

OR change BIOS to boot from Win98 HD it ALWAYS boots in to Win7. Unplugged HD with Win7 and boots in to Win98

SO am assuming that Win7 'can't see' Win98...

NOW I AM LOST>...how do I fix that.

THANKS if you can help.

Tracey :kaola: 
m
l
June 5, 2010 4:55:05 AM

Ok...reading LOTS of threads.....tiny urls didn't help

Easy BCD....ran....it recognised that win98 was on drive E

Set it up

NOW I get option to dual boot, but when I choose Win98 get "invalid system disc"

Get an option to repair using disc, but am pretty sure if I do that with Win98 disc it will muck up the Win7 OS....

SO waht next?????

I really need to access Win98 as my Tax software (we have new sw Win7 compatibly for next year but don't want to doalmost a whole years worth of work AGAIN.....want to finish year out on old sw and then start new year on new sw) have to go to accountants next week....TYPICAL

HELP

Thanks

Tracey
m
l
June 5, 2010 5:09:04 AM

Set it up

NOW I get option to dual boot, but when I choose Win98 get "invalid system disc"

Get an option to repair using disc, but am pretty sure if I do that with Win98 disc it will muck up the Win7 OS....

SO waht next?????

I really need to access Win98 as my Tax software (we have new sw Win7 compatibly for next year but don't want to doalmost a whole years worth of work AGAIN.....want to finish year out on old sw and then start new year on new sw) have to go to accountants next week....TYPICAL

HELP

Thanks

Tracey
m
l
June 5, 2010 6:26:35 AM

Best answer selected by Tracey59.
m
l
June 5, 2010 8:41:48 PM

Tracey59 said:

Set it up

SO waht next?????

HELP

Thanks

Tracey

Tracey, try this I know it would work for XP, not sure Win98:
Open EasyBCD and remove the Win98 listing, then add it back, accept the boot files, autoconfigure, restart.

m
l
June 5, 2010 10:10:57 PM

Hello Tracey59,

How about "VIRTUAL PC"? Is the windows 98 program heavy duty?

thanks again,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Support

m
l
June 6, 2010 12:58:06 AM

OK.....Virtual PC....here in Aussie land is an extra $400 PLUS....so really not an option as I don't need sw that heavy!!!

The programmes that use Win98 are light....not like office or any of those that chew up lots of ram when working and need a crap load of HD to install

If you could help me out on reinstalling.

OK...first thing I am guessing...unplug HD1 and check if HD2 will boot in to 98...if it does then there is obviously nothing wrong with the Win98 install

I can think of a few ways to address this, but not sure which would be the best approach (or easiest) and which one saves me mucking around pulling plugs out inside the box!!! WHy do they make it so TIGHT to get to things in the box!!!

Should I just try reinstalling Win7 over the top of the current install and WILL this fix it.

Am guessing the key to the next step would be finding out if Win98 will boot on HD2....and am guessing the only way to figure that out is to unplug HD1

IF HD2 boots OK...should I format HD1 and reinstall Win7

IF HD2 doesn't boot ... guess a reinstall of Win98 might fix the problem

IF I unplug the Win7 HD1 and reinstall Win98 on HD2 replug HD1 and run a repair on Win7

NO SIMPLE ANSWER I guess, but am hoping one of you techno smarties who obviously know a great deal more than me can help at least point me in the right direction

THink while waitinf for you to answer I will unplug HD1 and see if Win98 will boot. You guys are all in bed, now we are up down under!!! Bit rude of you not to be sitting there waiitng to help me!!! LOL

Thanks in advance

Tracey
m
l
June 7, 2010 11:05:37 AM

Reinstalled XP Pro Sce Pack 3 ..... restarted computer and Win7 did a auto recovery and started.

Now have dual boot working, however, when I choose Win XP I get 'invalid system disc' press enter and it boots in to XP

Now not sure if that is relevant, however, i cannot access the internet from XP.

Is there a setting I need to change somewhere. As this thread is showing closed, i will paste a new question in forum under networking.

THanks

Tracey
m
l
!