Sign in with
Your question

Write Protect Error w/ Fdisk

Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2002 1:21:56 PM

When attempting to fdisk a hard drive I am getting an error that says "Hard disk write protect error" whenever fdisk tries to "check drive integrity". This happens twice during the fdisk primary partition creation process, both times at 60% through the process. Although fdisk seems to be able to create the partition, the drive can not be formatted. Before starting this process, the drive was "preformated" using a BIOS utility.

Any suggestions about how to proceed are welcome. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks for your help!
June 26, 2002 6:01:47 PM

Try low level formatting with the manufacturer's hard disk utility. Next, run the diagnostics part of the program to check the drive integrity. Last, partition normally with FDISK, and format the system partition with the operating system CD. Other logical partitions can be formatted from within the GUI.

If the drive fails the diagnostic, send it back.

If the entire size of the drive cannot be recognized by the mainboard without the BIOS utility, and there is no way to flash the BIOS so that larger drives can be correctly identified, consider investing in a PCI IDE ATA/100 or ATA/133 controller card.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
June 26, 2002 10:43:16 PM

Tojam's on the money. You can also run a debug on the drive (supplied by the maufaturer) that will kill everything in the drive even the embedded s.m.a.r.t crap.

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.
!