Tags:
  • Routers
  • Asus
  • Internet
  • Networking
  • Product
Last response: in Networking
July 16, 2012 2:23:52 PM

Anyone using and having problems with their ASUS RT-N13u ver.B1?

With it's default firmware, It keeps disconnecting to the internet (the router receives internet from the modem), and also few more problems like computers connected to it by LAN are having trouble connecting properly to it.

I decided to flash it with DD-WRT firmware but it still has one problem, it still can't connect to the WAN/Internet properly. When I restart the modem, router and the computers, I can access the internet for about 10-15 minutes but after that there will be no internet again. When I go to the setup page of the DD-WRT and go to the status, I can see that the computer is connected properly to the router and the router has a proper WAN address.

I think it is not the modem because I can access the internet properly for hours without any problem when I directly connect the computer to the modem.

I should just have bought a linksys router instead, this router is really making me mad. The reason that I can think of why I bought ASUS router is because they are a good brand when it comes to motherboards.

More about : asus n13u

July 16, 2012 3:32:37 PM

Believe me, if you listen long enough, you'll hear the same complaints about Linksys and every other brand. As consumer grade products, ALL of them are compromised in terms of quality. How do you think they can sell you a router for $20-30 and still make a profit?!

No matter which brand you choose, sometimes you just get unlucky and get a dud. It might just be a failed/failing WAN port, maybe a bad solder joint, who knows. The only reliable means to make such statements is to look at large numbers of units over a long period of time and compare the results to other comparable brands. Of course, almost no one does at these price levels.

When the internet connection is lost, can you renew the DHCP lease from the router’s UI and get going again? Or will only a reboot help? Did you try a different ethernet cable between the WAN and modem? I suppose it might be overheating too. Anytime I see that something that works for a while but breaks down after 10-20 mins, heat buildup immediately comes to mind. It would be interesting to see what happens if you placed a fan directly on the router, or maybe have it sit on something cold, like an icebag wrapped in a towel (to prevent moisture from entering the device).
m
l
September 11, 2012 1:00:57 AM

I have similar problems with the stock v 2.0.2.5F of the router firmware. Driving me nuts.

Here is the setup:

- 1 ethernet client PC
- 1 wifi (802.11n) tablet client
- DSL modem with PPoE for internet
- Clients close together in a room
- No specified DNS servers or Gateway in the router configuration (default)

Here is what happens:
The router connects to the Internet all right and allows clients to access it.

After every power down of the DSL modem, the router "dials" the PPPoE and establishes a connection to the internet, but the clients cannot access any sites on the internet. With some investigating, I found that DNS does not work. ipconfig /displaydns in Windows shows very few DNS servers. Pinging any site does not get resolved. The clients appear to be connected, but most web sites time out.

If you change anything in the router configuration by logging in (I've toggled firewall settings, DHCP gateway, etc.), it takes a few seconds to refresh, disconnects clients and then starts to work. This happens most times, although I am not 100% certain.

With the older version of the firmware (2.0.2.0), it let the wireless client work fine, but started timing out web sites in the wired client!

Any ideas. It's in my in-laws house, so I can't readily try a lot of things.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2013 1:30:33 PM

eibgrad said:
Believe me, if you listen long enough, you'll hear the same complaints about Linksys and every other brand. As consumer grade products, ALL of them are compromised in terms of quality. How do you think they can sell you a router for $20-30 and still make a profit?!

That's why I paid over $50 for this Asus router, which was supposed to be much better than a cheapo D-Link. Yet the DI-524 runs fine while my Asus cannot get the DNS working (pinging a random IP address works however). I'll see if upgrading the firmware will do...
m
l
April 5, 2013 1:43:55 PM

Well, call me Charlie, but apparently the upgrade (from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.2.5.o beta) worked... I'll keep testing it just in case...
m
l
April 6, 2013 12:24:21 PM

I replaced the ASUS firmware with dd-wrt. Was a little more work to set up, but has worked flawlessly for 6 months now. I guess these hardware companies lose interest soon after releasing products and focus on newer ones. I had a slightly better response from Netgear on another router, but not much
m
l
April 10, 2013 11:11:26 AM

I was a bit too optimistic: this router's repeater mode seems broken. After about 1 day or so, it simply stops working (wireless and LAN lights off, power light still on), and I have to reboot it and wait for about 2 minutes so that it restores the connection. But some of the connected devices (e.g. TV) require manual reconfiguration to work again, which is annoying. Also, it creates a new SSID (original SSID + _EXT) which is different from the behavior of my simple TP-Link router, which once configured for bridging via WDS simply works normally. Once again, Asus let me down.
m
l
September 15, 2013 1:51:03 PM

I'm having a problem which may be related. The built in name server is broken. BIND-9's host command just says Message parser reports malformed message packet.
Upstream name servers work fine.
Unfortunately, the wireless appliances downstream don't have a setting to override bad name servers advertised by their DHCP server.
So this ASUS piece of junk is going in the e-waste pile.
m
l
December 2, 2013 1:31:38 PM

The solution to this problem is very simple. First let the router connect with automatic IP configuration and go the Network Map to note down the automatic DNS servers provided by your ISP. Then go to WAN setting, and set "Connect to DNS server automatically" to "No" and provide DNS Server 1 with one of the DNS servers you noted down previously. With DNS Server 2, put down 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2.
Then go to the desktop Internet Adapter Settings, Select the proper Network Adapter, Right click for Properties, Select Internet Protocol Version 4, Click Properties. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses", and write the blank spaces, 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2. Then click Advanced, Open DNS tab, click Add, write down one of the DNS server addresses you noted at the beginning, add it. Then again Click Add, and add the other DNS server address.
I cannot explain why this solved the problem. May be someone else will. But it has solved my problem, totally.
m
l
March 2, 2014 1:54:28 PM

darkstar845 said:
Anyone using and having problems with their ASUS RT-N13u ver.B1?

With it's default firmware, It keeps disconnecting to the internet (the router receives internet from the modem), and also few more problems like computers connected to it by LAN are having trouble connecting properly to it.

I decided to flash it with DD-WRT firmware but it still has one problem, it still can't connect to the WAN/Internet properly. When I restart the modem, router and the computers, I can access the internet for about 10-15 minutes but after that there will be no internet again. When I go to the setup page of the DD-WRT and go to the status, I can see that the computer is connected properly to the router and the router has a proper WAN address.

I think it is not the modem because I can access the internet properly for hours without any problem when I directly connect the computer to the modem.

I should just have bought a linksys router instead, this router is really making me mad. The reason that I can think of why I bought ASUS router is because they are a good brand when it comes to motherboards.

Was anyone able to resolve this issue? I am having the exact same issue with my router (Asus RT-N13U.B1). I tried DD-WRT on the router but I keep getting disconnected every 10-15 mins. On the stock firmware, the connection is stable as long as I continuously use the internet. If there is a gap of around one hour, none of the devices can connect to the SSID. I have to physically reboot the router.

I already have 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 as DNS servers.

Very annoying issue. Any help is extremely appreciated. Thank you.
m
l
July 21, 2014 3:53:38 PM

I too, searched for days and hours for a solution to this Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1 router dropping the internet connection. I was about to give up and came across the solution here - https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2159186/all.

Although I never timed the dropping interval, it seemed like it was 15 minutes or so. I hadn't experienced this dropping connection problem (at least in this short of an interval - in retrospect, it may have been dropping the connection at much larger intervals so as to make me think it was just a "computer thing" and necessitated cycled the router/modem) until I updated the firmware to the latest 2.0.2.5o (and tried to rolling back to 2.0.2.5f to no effect).

The solution as it states in the weblink, is: . . . "Are you referring to WiFi or WAN drop?
If WAN, ensure the UPNP is off.
If WiFi, see below for some suggestion, try to keep at least 5 channel away from those wifi spot closest to you." Under WAN setting, make sure the UPNP is OFF. When you upgrade the firmware or go back to default, it automatically turns UPNP on. Once I turned UPNP off, the dropping connections stopped. Connection has been stable for 1 1/2 days now. Hope this helps as it helped me!
m
l
!