Winsock Error??

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 24, 2004 9:45:40 PM

I have been having nothing but problems trying to figure
out what is wrong with my MN-700 base station and MN-730
Wireless PCI adapter. I have check everything I possibly
could to determine why the computer with the MN-730 isn't
connecting to the internet. So, I finally call the
support line, and this is what it said in the email they
sent me.

Action - tried installing the adapter
Result - unable to connect
Cause - winsock error
Resolution - transferred to win xp support

So, xp support was closed and I'll end up having to call
them tomorrow. He said there is a problem in my registry
and it'll have to be edited. Does anyone know anything
about this? This has really been driving me crazy for
months.

In case anyone asks, to save time, this is what I've done
to try and correct the problem.

I updated all the programs I possibly could, I checked to
see if there was a firewall on the wireless machine, I
made sure the WEP key was correct, I disabled the WEP key,
I've uninstalled the hardware and software for this
network and reinstalled, I mean, everything that the
manual tells you to try, I've tried. I really appreciate
any help anyone can give me. Thank you for your time.

Robert

More about : winsock error

Anonymous
April 24, 2004 10:02:38 PM

I forgot to mention that the computer with the base
station works fine with internet access. I am running
Win98 SE on the machine with the base station, and WinXP
home edition on the machine with the Wireless PCI adapter.
This doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Thanks again!
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 2:40:25 AM

Unfortunately your details from the support mail aren't very detailed, even
to let us know why they might refer you to XP.

Let's try some questions:

Are you getting any specific erros when you try to connect? Can you try
hooking up the laptop with a wired connection, to see if that will work
(help troubleshoot whether it's the PC or the wireless that's the issue).

Any more details on the steps you've taken to resolve the issue?

--
Steve Sullivan, MVP
Microsoft Hardware Products

"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been having nothing but problems trying to figure
> out what is wrong with my MN-700 base station and MN-730
> Wireless PCI adapter. I have check everything I possibly
> could to determine why the computer with the MN-730 isn't
> connecting to the internet. So, I finally call the
> support line, and this is what it said in the email they
> sent me.
>
> Action - tried installing the adapter
> Result - unable to connect
> Cause - winsock error
> Resolution - transferred to win xp support
>
> So, xp support was closed and I'll end up having to call
> them tomorrow. He said there is a problem in my registry
> and it'll have to be edited. Does anyone know anything
> about this? This has really been driving me crazy for
> months.
>
> In case anyone asks, to save time, this is what I've done
> to try and correct the problem.
>
> I updated all the programs I possibly could, I checked to
> see if there was a firewall on the wireless machine, I
> made sure the WEP key was correct, I disabled the WEP key,
> I've uninstalled the hardware and software for this
> network and reinstalled, I mean, everything that the
> manual tells you to try, I've tried. I really appreciate
> any help anyone can give me. Thank you for your time.
>
> Robert

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 25, 2004 3:26:40 AM

I really don't know how else to explain the situation.
I'm not dealing with a laptop, just another desktop.
The person who was on the phone helping me said that I
have a problem with my registry.
The only error that I get is that the WEP key is incorrect.
So, I'll disable it, and it STILL won't connect.
The thing about it is I have had this hooked up and it
worked fine. It just stopped working and I cannot figure
it out. I cannot hook up the other machine because all I
have is this wireless router. I don't think I'm going to
be able to explain it well enough for someone to help me.
All I know is the last thing they told me is that I'd have
to talk to xp support because I have a registry problem.
Have you ever heard of anything like this?
Thanks for your reply.

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 5:49:14 PM

WinSock is the Windows API for TCP/IP (and other). Which
program reports the error?

Also, go to Start/Command Prompt and enter ipconfig
Let us know what you get as response.

April 25, 2004 7:43:55 PM

Ok, here it is. When I type ipconfig /renew, this is the
error I receive.

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing Wireless Network
Connection. An operation was attempted on something that
is not a socket.

Ok, so that was it. The guy I was talking to on the phone
today said that there is something wrong with the TCP/IP
or something like that. He said that something that the
users of the computer (members of my family) did is
blocking the use of the TCP/IP. Um, I don't even know how
they could of messed it up, even by accident. Hopefully
this will give someone enough of an idea that they can
tell me how to reverse it. Thanks for your reply.

Robert

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 11:44:02 PM

Well, like I said, based on the information you provided, I don't see a
reason necessarily to buy the corrupt registry-XP support thing.

So this is a desktop that did work? What changes were made when it stopped
working? Any software or hardware installed?

Yeah...that laptop part is my bad, sorry for that....

Do you happen to have a wired connection to the router that can be tested?
It sounds like you're detecting a signal, just not able to connect (the WEP
error).

Also, where you mentioned trying to renew your address, did you release the
address first?

--

!