Power supply Gateway 450xl

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Hi,

I would like to replace my dual fan power supply from my older 1998 Gateway G6-450XL Motherboard #4000402. The model # is listed below. However, I would replace the power supply with one with a higher wattage. I still want it to be a direct bolt in with the proper wire connections. Can you help me? I'm replacing a video card that needs more wattage. Size is 6.5" x 3" x 5.75" or something very close. It doesn't appear to be a standard ATX although the case says it is. And it is making finding one difficult. I tried the ATX ANTEC 330 and its the wrong size. Where can I find a more powerful power supply? Or at least one that is closer to my size. P.S. I don't want to buy a new case!

Gateway # 6500184 POW 200W 5/3A 3.3V W/700MA R5

Thank you, Joseph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You probably have the special "midsized" Gateway power supply. Many of those cases ALSO had the holes for an standard power supply, BUT often had to be notched out to allow the power plug to fit.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
No, its the large Gateway case. I'm sure its not the mid-sized ATX. Anyhow, I found a standard 200 watt replacement Gateway unit on ebay for $10.00. Its probably a $10.00 door-stop, but I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks, Joseph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's the steel case, it's a full sized power supply. If it's a plastic case, it's Gateway's new proprietary size.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>