Sign in with
Your question

Linksys wrt54g driver/setup software

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 23, 2012 6:01:28 AM

just installed a new OS on my desktop and cant find the linksys setup CD, ive searched all over the internet and everyone says "just access the settings with the 192.168.1.1 and your good to go!" or "go onto the linksys website and download the installation wizard!" but i cant get on that with my desktop and if i get on it with this comp i have no idea were to go, and there IS NO DOWNLOAD FOR THE WIZARD. can someone PLEASE be more specific or link me to to were i can find the correct drivers for this thing so i can work on geting my comp back up and running? i cant seem to find a simple answer anywere or atleast one that works.
June 23, 2012 3:27:47 PM

The reason it’s confusing is because it *sounds* to others like you’re trying to obtain drivers for the router (you did mention the WRT54G router in your title). But a router doesn’t need drivers, not even the setup CD, you just plug it in and it’s ready to go, and usually accessible w/ your web browser @ http://192.168.1.1

What I suspect is your real problem is a need for drivers for your wireless client adapter, the one installed on your newly installed OS. Those can be obtained from the manufacturer’s website (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, whoever). Usually under their support section. Just search for your model # and find the correct drivers for your OS.

m
l
June 23, 2012 8:37:07 PM

eibgrad said:
What I suspect is your real problem is a need for drivers for your wireless client adapter, the one installed on your newly installed OS. Those can be obtained from the manufacturer’s website (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, whoever). Usually under their support section. Just search for your model # and find the correct drivers for your OS.

ok well thats kind of were i started, on the linksys support page theres only a download link for the firmware (which im not entirly sure what firmware is exactly), i cant find its drivers anywere and when i contacted support they tried to sell me some new linksys device and other crap

EDIT: IGNORE THIS AND NEXT POST
ok ok ok... i was going about this all wrong and i see what you mean now, ok now, how do i find my adapters model number so i can look it up on the linksys? i mean if my computer cant pick it up then how am i supposed to find it out?

EDIT:
ok well i give up... im out of ideas at this point and im about to start pulling my hair out >< i cant find anything and im basically begging for help at this point... if it helps my computer is a "gateway fx6840-03e" if you google that it will bring up my computer, only now it has windows 7 professional and some more ram, i cant find what kind of network adapter it is or any of its drivers... ive tried downloading driver installation programs off the internet and i keep getting various errors when i try to run them on my desktop, all the errors coincidentally involving no access to the internet or a need to update my network adapter drivers... please if there is ANYONE out there with ANY kind of helpfull info, PLEASE say something T_T
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2012 8:41:37 PM

i went back onto the page just for the hell of it to try and look again and after going through their instructions on how to download the driver, it turns out were the driver download is supposed to be is GONE, so idk if they moved it somewere or what but its not were its supposed to be...
m
l
June 23, 2012 10:24:10 PM

Uhh, so now I'm confused, where are we with this problem??
m
l
November 20, 2012 6:05:55 PM

try the adviser instead. it worked for me... linksys never told me about it found on internet
http://update.linksys.com/autoupdate/

tomd2 said:
just installed a new OS on my desktop and cant find the linksys setup CD, ive searched all over the internet and everyone says "just access the settings with the 192.168.1.1 and your good to go!" or "go onto the linksys website and download the installation wizard!" but i cant get on that with my desktop and if i get on it with this comp i have no idea were to go, and there IS NO DOWNLOAD FOR THE WIZARD. can someone PLEASE be more specific or link me to to were i can find the correct drivers for this thing so i can work on geting my comp back up and running? i cant seem to find a simple answer anywere or atleast one that works.

m
l
!