Single sided/double sided

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Single Sided memory has greater density, so it runs a little hotter, a potential problem for overclocking. However, the latest Samsung 40ns RDRAM is single sided and supports higher speeds than the previous verion. So go with the double sided stick unless the single sided one is 40ns.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ummm crash... he was asking about DDR, not RDRAM. (we all know u love rdram but...) LoL :lol:

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i think at the moment ALL 512Mb ram is double sided due to its density and manufacturing standards.

should u get 256mb ram, some will be double, some single (i.e. half a 512mb stick) depending on the manufacturer.

single sided just means that one side of the stick has no chips on it, and the chips on the other side have twice the data density (obviously)

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn, sorry. OK, double sided memory is likely to be of lower density, which makes it compatable with more boards in the case of SDR SDRAM, but I've no experience with DDR boards having compatability problems with higher density RAM.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Theres more to it than the number of chips. Double sided modules are organized as two banks. Since the memory controller only supports 4 banks, you can only use 2 pcs. double sided modules eventhough your mobo may have 3 sockets. Thats because one bank is shared between the sockets. So you can use 2 sticks of double sided or 1 double sided and 2 single sided or 3 single sided. And yes I believe the Samsung sticks are double sided (most are).