Sign in with
Your question

Setting up network

Last response: in Networking
July 17, 2012 9:15:13 PM

Hello,

ok guys, i have computers A-E in my house connected to the Bright house supplied neatgear cable modem. Computers C,D and E will connect via DHCP. computers A and B have dual NIC's. (10/100 nic A, 1000 nic B). Heres what i would like to do: connect all computers (A-E) to the internet. (this part i am currently doing) on computer A and B i want to create an ad hoc net work to souly use the 1000M nics (for data sharing). I want to separate computer A and B so they wont use the 100 Mbit connection. Can anyone help? i wont mind static ips if i have to go that way. my router is set to 192.168.0.1

More about : setting network

July 17, 2012 9:34:11 PM

Dont know why this double posted sorry mod

Im running windows Vista x64 buisiness on all computers i just want all computers to connect to the internet while the 2 wired computers can transfer data across the gigabit line. so far they keep defaulting to the 100 mbit line. i tried subnetting however i didnt get it to work, either i got them to talk to each other or connect to the internet. :(  any ideas?
July 18, 2012 4:49:28 AM

Not a big problem. Just connect the two gigabit adapters via ethernet wire. Configure them w/ unique static IPs and no gateway. Just make sure they use a different network than your primary network! (e.g., 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 and 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0). And now reference each other via those IPs.

\\10.0.0.1\<some-share>

If it helps, you can define hostnames for each IP in the Windows hosts file on each PC.
Related resources
July 18, 2012 3:44:42 PM

Could you explain the hosts? My networking skills are very rusty. i.e say computer A is called Main do i define in the host file "10.0.0.1 Main"
July 18, 2012 3:58:02 PM

eibgrad, you are a godsend. That fixed my problem i just set the ips,mapped the network drives an bam i have it set up.
July 18, 2012 4:13:48 PM

a little googling showed me about the hosts file. I consider this thread SOLVED.
July 18, 2012 4:16:12 PM

Instead of using explicit IP addresses for new network, you could define named connection using your hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). Entries can be added in the form: name ip-address.

10.0.0.1 ComputerA
10.0.0.2 ComputerB

Do this on each machine. When resolving names, Windows will always check the hosts file first. So you now use these names instead of explicit IPs.

\\ComputerA\\<share-name>

Not a necessity, just a little easier than remembering IP addresses, esp. as you add more machines to a network like this.
!