papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
i've got someone on my back calling me a liar because I reccomended pc 3200ddr at cas 2, he says it does not exist. here's a URL: http://store.yahoo.com/buyaib/25ddrpc40ins.html
it does would someone back me up and send him a private message telling him that I'm right? his name is Quetzacoatl
:)

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PapaSmurf on 06/27/02 09:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I told you, they just posted the damn thing a few nights ago, <i> after </i> your stupid first post. I know it exists already

"When there's a will, there's a way."

G

yes it seems to be DDR400 CAS2. i have already seen a dozen times those specs but i never noticed that...

but can you explain this extract? :
256MB DDR SDRAM 400MHz, PC3200,32X64,2.5V,Non-Parity, Non-ECC,184-pin,<b>Cas Latency 2.5</b>. Over Clock Ram

Industry Standard,guarantee to work on all system!work with Windows 98,ME,2000 and XP ready.

DDR memory, or Double Data Rate memory, is an evolutionary new memory technology that doubles data throughput to the processor. As an evolution of today's PC133 SDRAM, DDR leverages the existing production and environment to provide unrivaled PC performance at an affordable price.

Specifications:256MB 400MHZ 184PIN DDR Memory, No-ECC. Higher performance over mainstream PC100 or PC133 memory. Up to 2.1 GB/sec of peak bandwidth using PC3200 DIMMs,JEDEC Standard. 184 pin DIMM, non-ECC. DIMM Lead pitch: 1.27 mm. 2.5 Volts. SSTL-2 I/O Interface.
<b>CAS Latencies: 2.5</b>. SPD Support. Support for Memory Chip Stacking. Brand varies from Micron, Samsung.

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
The RAM exists, very few systems actually support it, not even the P4 systems which could actually use the bandwidth.

G

The RAM exists, very few systems actually support it, not even the P4 systems which could actually use the bandwidth.
what are you trying to say?
the support of the ram is chipset dependant & for instance the KT333 would support this ram even in CAS2 if this DDR400 CAS2 memory existed.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
It doesn't matter if it is supported or not, memory with additional bandwidth drops down to the speed supported by the FSB. No matter what you have, for example, an Athlon with 2.1Gb/s mem bandwidth, you could have PC-12800 DDR, but it would still only provide 2.1Gb/s bandwidth to the Athlon, not 12.6Gb/s.

G

no. despite the KT333 official 166Mhz limit, the FSB can go upper till 200-220Mhz with a high quality memory & an appropriate motherboard. (for instance Corsair XMS3200 & KX7-333 motherboard)

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
*shakes head in disbelief* you aren't getting the point here. The Kt333 chipset may "support" the 166Mhz DDR speed, but the FSB is the limiting factor. No matter what the memory bus is, it will drop down to the stock FSB, being 133Mhz DDR for AMD.

G

The Kt333 chipset may "support" the 166Mhz DDR speed, but the FSB is the limiting factor. No matter what the memory bus is, it will drop down to the stock FSB, being 133Mhz DDR for AMD.
you are speaking about the bottleneck involved by the 2.1GB FSB bandwith?
yes this is a limiting factor which slows down a bit the memory but an improvement of the overall memory performances remains available with an higher memory bandwith.

have a look to the memory benchmarks for instance a oC'ed memory from 166 to 225Mhz. (XMS2700 DDR memory overclocking benchmarks)

the limit is pushed forward thanks to some overclocking. try this <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/ABIT/KX7-333R/page4.htm" target="_new">ram OCing benchmark review</A>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
yes this is a limiting factor which slows down a bit the memory but an improvement of the overall memory performances remains available with an higher memory bandwith.

By the way, that isn't a proper english sentence. The increase of performance is negligable at that point, down to %1 to %0 of an increase.

have a look to the memory benchmarks for instance a oC'ed memory from 166 to 225Mhz. (XMS2700 DDR memory overclocking benchmarks)

the limit is pushed forward thanks to some overclocking

wow...no sh**...of course overclocking will increase the memory bandwidth, you are increasing the FSB, which affects the memory the CPU utilizes...*slaps forehead* duh.