Tascam DAT won't power up

Last response: in Home Audio
July 23, 2004 1:38:13 AM

Hello RAPers,

I have an old Tascam DA-30 that I used to use a lot, but don't anymore.
An old client wants a DAT tape transferred to CD, but my machine won't
power up. This happenned once before and it seems like a bunch of
fiddling with the on/off button got it going again but it doesn't seem
to work this time. When I power on, nothing happens, but when I power
off, I hear a small click from somewhere around the display. I don't see
anything that looks wrong inside.

I like to be able to handle lots of formats if possible. Anyone got any
suggestions on how to get this thing running?

TIA,

Albert

More about : tascam dat power

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:09:47 PM

In article <4100A444.5B3CF094@alaska.net> zbert@alaska.net writes:

> I like to be able to handle lots of formats if possible. Anyone got any
> suggestions on how to get this thing running?

You could send it back to TASCAM. If they can't fix it, they'll return
it and won't charge you (not even for the return shipping). If it's
repairable at all, that's probably cheaper than buying a replacement
DAT and dealing with someone else's problems.

July 23, 2004 1:17:17 PM

Albert McDonnell <zbert@alaska.net> wrote:

>I have an old Tascam DA-30 that I used to use a lot, but don't anymore.
>An old client wants a DAT tape transferred to CD, but my machine won't
>power up. This happenned once before and it seems like a bunch of
>fiddling with the on/off button got it going again but it doesn't seem
>to work this time. When I power on, nothing happens, but when I power
>off, I hear a small click from somewhere around the display. I don't see
>anything that looks wrong inside.
>
>I like to be able to handle lots of formats if possible. Anyone got any
>suggestions on how to get this thing running?

Send it to Tascam unless you're comfortable on working on switching supplies
yourself. I assume that "you don't see anything that looks wrong inside"
means that you checked the fuses but that you don't have a scope to
check the kickstart circuit.

Eddie Ciletti also does good work on those machines.
--scott

July 23, 2004 5:43:00 PM

Albert McDonnell <zbert@alaska.net> wrote:
> Hello RAPers,

> I have an old Tascam DA-30 that I used to use a lot, but don't anymore.
> An old client wants a DAT tape transferred to CD, but my machine won't
> power up. This happenned once before and it seems like a bunch of
> fiddling with the on/off button got it going again but it doesn't seem
> to work this time. When I power on, nothing happens, but when I power
> off, I hear a small click from somewhere around the display. I don't see
> anything that looks wrong inside.

> I like to be able to handle lots of formats if possible. Anyone got any
> suggestions on how to get this thing running?

Do you feel comfortable opening up gear?

First, disconnect the power from the outlet.

If this is simply a problem with the power switch...as you seem to be
implying, open up the unit. I believe that you just remove the top
metal piece. The way the power switch probably operates is the button
at the front is attached by a long rod to the actaul switch at the back.

Perhaps it is the mechanical arrangement that is malfunctioning. If you
are able to correct it, then you are done. If you can't, my suggestion
is that you put the switch in the back into the on mode, and disconnect
the rod. Now, whenever you have to turn it on, you just plug in the unit.

The problem could be something else. Maybe the actual switch is faulty.
You will need a multimeter to test this. I don't know if that is beyond
your skill.

If you are rarely using this DAT, then I wouldn't put a lot of money into
repairing it properly. On the other hand, Tascam is a very reasonable
company, and they may sell you a part for a decent price.

Rob R.
!