Sign in with
Your question

more about GTXP...

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2002 2:56:40 PM

I read someplace else (from someone who bought Logitech Z560 speaker set) that if the sub isn't seperate that the sound card doesn't recognize it as a 4.1 setup?? (like.. you plug the sub in and then the speakers plug into the sub I guess???) whats the deal with this? (also, what speaker sets would people reccommend that would utilize this sound card to the fullest). I'm not looking to spend more than 150 on a set of pc speakers. Thanks guys (and girls).

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***

More about : gtxp

June 29, 2002 6:25:08 PM

Quote:
(also, what speaker sets would people reccommend that would utilize this sound card to the fullest). I'm not looking to spend more than 150 on a set of pc speakers.

Well I guess you aren't going to utilize this card to the fullest. :smile:

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
July 1, 2002 3:51:47 PM

Well, i don't speak yibberyash, but...

I think what your asking is, "How does the sub work?".

The sub feeds off of the front and rear outputs to the sats, it takes the low frequencies after a certain crossoverpoint and plays them. So, there is no seperate output for the sub on the Z-560's. You have to go on up to a 5.1 set like Klipsh 5.1 to get that. Even then though, the sub will feed off the same front and rear outputs in games that don't support dolby digital 5.1.

At least thats my understanding of how it works.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 1, 2002 6:33:55 PM

Quote:
You have to go on up to a 5.1 set like Klipsh 5.1 to get that. Even then though, the sub will feed off the same front and rear outputs in games that don't support dolby digital 5.1.

You're pretty much correct. The internal crossover on the Promedia 5.1 will direct all bass below a certain frequency to the sub. But even when a DD 5.1 source is playing, the crossover will still do this. The difference is that the source may also send some output on the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel which goes on the separate Center/Sub wire to the amp and skips the crossover altogether.

Also, are there any games that support DD 5.1? Only DVDs as far as I know. Many games do use the Center channel (Rogue Spear, Thief, Max Payne, etc), but I don't think they use the Sub channel.

Ritesh
July 1, 2002 7:23:21 PM

excellent point

July 1, 2002 7:25:08 PM

i actually just went to bestbuy to see how these speakers plug in. it appears that the low end stuff is just redirected to the sub. The reason I was confused as I had seen klipcsh speakers with an input for front, back and sub. I think i'm all cleared up now. thanks.

July 2, 2002 5:43:47 PM

Several upcoming games do, including UT2003. Its a technology not implemented yet but it will be more in the near future. I'd guess we'll see 5 or 6 games with it released by mid 2004.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
!