Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help for choosing a wireless adaptor

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 24, 2012 8:48:09 PM

Hey guys! I'm building my first gaming rig and i plan to play games, not many online but a few. My second activity will be surfing the internet. The routor/modem is in the room which is above me.
I already have the D-Link DWA-130 wireless adaptor : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683... .

My question is : as i bought this 3 years ago, do I need to buy something more new that has up to 300 mps speed (For example, this : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-166-0... ) or is this good enough for my pc internet use?

Thank you for your time!
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2012 8:58:49 PM

Yes it will help to have the N speed adapter,and that's a nice choice.
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2012 9:00:37 PM

Given your usage, I don't see any obvious need to upgrade, not if it's working ok. Most of the time your ISP doesn't even come close to saturating your wireless network, G or N, so unless you have a need for a lot of local file transfers, I'd leave well enough alone. In fact, nothing beats a wired connection for gaming due to the higher reliability and lower latency. But of course that's not always practical.
Related resources
June 24, 2012 9:21:42 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Yes it will help to have the N speed adapter,and that's a nice choice.

I'm not sure which one you're talking about? Are you meaning I should stay with the one I have or should I upgrade?
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2012 9:25:47 PM

I have a fast connection so i benefited from the N adapter while gaming,but my router is a N also,so for that reason my N adapter upgrade worked out well.Do you have an N router?
June 25, 2012 11:43:16 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I have a fast connection so i benefited from the N adapter while gaming,but my router is a N also,so for that reason my N adapter upgrade worked out well.Do you have an N router?

Yes I have a N modem and a N router!

Best solution

a b F Wireless
June 25, 2012 11:52:00 PM

Then the n adapter would be the way to go.
June 26, 2012 8:19:04 PM

Best answer selected by ClownWalker.
a b F Wireless
June 26, 2012 8:22:12 PM

Thanks for the vote,and thanks for joining the forum!
!